Griswold Dutch Oven

Jay W

I recently can across a Griswold “ERIE” Dutch oven number 12. I checked the blue book and it only shows up to a size number 11 for that style. Does anyone know anything about this or what it is worth? The asking price of $800 seemed pretty high to me.
Thanks in advance.

Picture would help. Are you sure it's a Dutch oven or possibly a chuck wagon Dutch oven? Does it have feet on the bottom or is it smooth?

That is correct. They also made a #13 (2625, 2627). I have a yellow Griswold price guide (1996 4th printing) that shows the pattern numbers, pg 82.

Here is the info from the page.20181014_102519_crop_372x527.jpg

Thanks for the indo. Does the book have any information about the #12? I am curious about what it is worth.

in dutch ovens it seems that anything other than 7, 8 and 9 are 'less common'... that looks like an excellent example of a slant erie piece... and an appropriate lid for the time period... but I think the later large block and fully marked raised letter lids bring higher prices... just because they look better.

this auction had a #12 that sold for $600 and it was badly warped on the bottom... but then they sold the #12 trivet and it went for $900... I would think most dutch oven prices would be less than the typical oval roaster prices (especially with the raised letter lids). a #11 went for $400... there was a #10 and #9's and #8's and I've seen #6's sell for close to a thousand.

https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-catalog/catalog_3S0VYTZKNF?keywords=dutch+oven

Back