Name that Griddle

RussTschopp

I saw a griddle over the weekend antiquing, had double gate marks on the bottom, a raised 7 on the one handle, a raised j on the other, appeared to be sound, no cracks or chips are apparent.
I'm a new collector, all I wanted to do was find out how to clean a 1950 BSR I believe pan.....now have the bug.
1. Is it a Wagner? Griswold?
2. What is a fair price?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 56
This is actually what's known as a sad iron heater. It would be used on top of a woodstove or across two stove eyes with a bridge piece removed, and was probably sold along with the woodstove it fit as an accessory. The markings aren't enough to ID it, but Wagner or Griswold would be longshots at best; there were hundreds of stove companies in the mid to late 19th century, in which the gatemarks most likely place this one. There's an outside chance it might be Lodge. Hard to place a value without provenance, though. You'll see these priced all over the map, which is no help. I can't see it realistically being worth more than about $50 tops, and that would be absolutely no defect or damage.

Thanks Doug, I'm new to this, so I assumed it was a griddle. The double gate marks caught my eye, as I know they generally mean it is an older piece. Are these pieces pictured in the blue book? It was marked 12$ in a antique mall, vendor wasn't present to haggle with, so I took photos and moved on.

Thanks again

The possible Lodge is only an illustration from an old catalog in the RB. There, it most closely resembles Lodge's "shallow long pan", but those are only shown in sizes 8 and 9. There isn't a terribly big collector interest in these. If you like and have a use for it, $12 for an antique, a conversation piece, and possibly usable as a griddle isn't that bad.

Long griddles are typically rectangular. Sad iron heaters are deeper and have rounded ends. Long pans or fish fryers have rounded ends, may or may not have a drain spout, and many appear to be repurposed sad iron heaters.

Back