Brass Drain Valve on E-tank

Probably not as long as it's not part of the circuit or is not grounded. Bigger question is if it will be practical given the amount of sludge and gunk that accumulates in the bottom of an e-tank.

My plan is to put it 3-4 inches from the bottom, that way the tank is easier to handle when I put it away for the winter.

Although the brass shut off valve will be on the outside of the tank and stops the water from coming out, the water will be toughing the inside of the brass faucet. And since certain metals shouldn’t go in an e-tank, I was just wondering if brass is one of those metals.

I'm no chemist but if the valve itself is a different metal than the brass housing it's in I'd be worried about two dissimilar metals hanging out so close together in an electrolyte. It would probably work fine for a while but maybe one day it either seizes up and you can't open it or corrodes and starts to leak. Have you considered the same kind of valve used to drain rain barrels? Lots of times those valves are nothing more than plastic plus whatever the gaskets are made of (preferably silicone). They fit a standard garden hose which I imagine is what prompted you to choose the one you pictured.

Yes, I thought of all plastic, but I didn't find one that you can hook up a hose to. I will have to keep looking.

Thanks for the info.

Short answer, No. I would be concerned about any steel parts if any in the valve.

Get yourself a 1" PVC ball valve, and yes you can find a hose hook up. We do it here on the farm for water irrigation.

Word the the wise. I have a collection of old solder irons with a chunk of copper on one end and old forged iron shank / rod that gets attached to a wood handle at the other end. Well I was playing around with a solder iron in my eTank and the copper did transfer onto a junk skillet that was in the eTank at the same time. I was trying to clean the rust off the iron shank / rod, not the copper. :covri:

Back