Looking for More Info About a Wagner Pie Logo Skillet

HDuBois

Howdy! I recently got this Wagner #3 skillet, and I'm hoping to learn a little more about it. It's nickel plated, it has the pie logo, and the serial number is 1053A. So far, I've left the old seasoning on because I haven't wanted to risk damaging the nickel in an oven self-cleaning cycle. I've done a lot of searching online to find a matching pan without luck. There are bare cast iron 1053A's and nickel plated 1053F's, but no nickel 1053A's that I can find. I'm wondering if anyone has any insights into this pan's story? I'm also mulling over the idea of selling it but have no frame of reference for what it might be worth. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Harrison

Attachments

• IMG_3575.jpg
    IMG_3575.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3576.jpg
    IMG_3576.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3578.jpg
    IMG_3578.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 16
Wagner pie logo #3s are probably the easiest of the pie logos to find, bare iron or nickel plated. The 1053 is not a serial number but rather a catalog number found on most Wagner pieces after about 1924. The letter after serves to identify the unique working pattern from which the pan was cast. Plated pieces, in the case of nickel plating, are simply bare iron pans subjected to the plating process. The letter following the 1053 has no bearing re: plated vs. bare iron. Plated pieces are best kept away from a SCO, but lye bath cleaning will not affect them. Current values can be determined by searching eBay "sold" listings to find pans of like condition, although many times one can find a better deal "in the wild".

There is usually a few on Ebay. Right now there is like 5 of the, but not nickle. I would use the Easy Off Method to strip it. Thats what I would do.....

Thanks for the insight, Doug. I'll take a look on ebay and see what they're running for. And thanks for the tip, Sean. That's probably what I'll go ahead and do.

No problem on the advice. Im not an expert, but I dont think easy off will hurt the nickle.....I doubt it, but I never did it myself yet.

I'm certainly not an expert, but I've put nickel and chrome pieces in my lye bath and it doesn't touch the finish, just gets the crud off as desired. Re-seasoning them takes a bit more attention to detail as you can end up baking on seasoning over the chrome, which ends up looking like an unappealing yellowish layer. So be very careful when applying your seasoning oil of choice, to only apply it to the bare iron areas. It's also a testament to the fact that even when it looks like you have wiped everything completely clean, there is still a thin layer on there.

Back