View Single Post
Old 01-09-2021, 01:54 PM
Doug D. Doug D. is offline
Site Admin
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,210
Default Re: Can Not Identify an Old Skillet

The line across the bottom is called a gate mark, the gate being where molten iron entered the mold. "Bottom gated" pieces which also have the design characteristics such as the small hemispherical spouts and this handle shape are placed in the early to mid-19th century. The letters are known as molder's marks, meaning a foundryman was being paid by the piece and was required to identify his output. Unfortunately, absent a manufacturer name or initials like "P.B. & Co.", identifying the maker is unlikely.
Reply With Quote