How can I tell if CI cookware is painted?

FBailey

I purchased a few CI skillets with all kinds of crud on the outside and the inside is typically smooth and shiny.

I love this condition because, IMHO, this condition depicts the old timey usage and history of the cookware. BUT, I do not feel comfortable cooking in it because I feel the surface might be painted. So, I just cleaned and re-seasoned several of my purchases for this reason.

I would like to use the cookware as is but I feel I must be confident it isn't paint.

How does one know if the cookware is painted or just coated in loving history?

The third photo is a close up of the actual cooking surface.

Attachments

• IMG_8105c.jpg
    IMG_8105c.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8106c.jpg
    IMG_8106c.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_8112c.jpg
    IMG_8112c.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 25
Paint usually looks more even in color and texture than seasoning. There are also usually some artifacts of heating on the outside of a used, seasoned pan that paint would not look like. If you're ever unsure, lye or electrolysis will usually take it off, and you should really strip and reseason any piece you don't know the history of if you want to use it, anyway.

Thanks, Doug.

When you say "Artifacts" do you mean peeling or burning paint?

Would you say this skillet is probably seasoned and not painted?

Artifacts as in burnt seasoning on the outside and bottom will often have other colors-- white, brownish-- and textural characteristics like checking or cracking. Paint is usually just one even shade and texture of black.

I run across very few pans with thick build-up that appear to be painted.

Back