Trying to ID a old wash pot

KSears

I was given and old wash pot which had been used to fry with over the years. It appears to have 2 gate marks on the bottom with a 10 in the middle of them. I was told it's probably over a 100 years old, but beyond that I have no idea.

You see many of this kind of wash pot throughout rural SC which is my home state. I see prices of 100 on average. Some higher with bale. I pretty much buy them if the price is decent from folks out in the country. They work well for placing potted plants in them which is what the wife likes.

Gone are the days when you saw them used in the yard for washing clothes or scalding hogs for the bigger ones

You see many of this kind of wash pot throughout rural SC which is my home state. I see prices of 100 on average. Some higher with bale. I pretty much buy them if the price is decent from folks out in the country. They work well for placing potted plants in them which is what the wife likes.

Gone are the days when you saw them used in the yard for washing clothes or scalding hogs for the bigger ones

Oh I remember those days. One of my late grandmother's had a cast iron wash pot much like the one shown here behind her house. I remember her washing clothes more than once in that pot when I was about 5-7 yrs old. She had some kind of machine on the back porch that would squeeze out the water. Lots of memories.

Thanks for the information everyone. I know my grandfather gave it to me the other week. I figured it would be good for stews or hash. He told me his mother in law gave it to him back in the 60's and he said had it since, he told me he thought it was over a hundred years old. I'm not looking to sell, I plan on passing it down to my children one day since it's been in the family for quite some time apparently. Mark H I'm out in SC as well. I was even given a bigger one that was used for scalding hogs which is probably 80 plus years old as well, but it's in rather rough condition with no markings. I'm trying to find a way to restore it. So it's safe to say the little one I posted pics of is over 100 years old?

I would say yes to the age range.

This one is for sale in Sumter for 85. Baltimore I understand. 15 gal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 31
SC here, too. I've got couple of them. No idea who made either one of them and never will since they don't have any identifying marks. One was free and the other one was well over 200 grand, but the house it came with was free.

Too bad that one in Sumter (where I grew up) has broken ears. I'd have my brother go look at it for me.

an old post but i thought i would bring it back. i am also in SC. been here all my 63 years. the ones for scalding hogs were not wash pots but syrup kettles, totally different. we made BBQ hash and what we call country puddin in the wash pots. today a man is bringing one to my cabin, i bought it yesterday,,,,,,,,,,

Back