Hello from NC

RobDBeal

First of all, hello. I've been checking out the website for sometime. I recently started buying up cast iron even though I've had a piece or two that I inherited from my grandmother. I'm thankful for your community of knowledge. Luckily I learned early on that if you see something that catches your eye... buy it... it won't be there next time if you don't. That being said, I recently acquired a piece that I've tried researching everything I could possibly think of on the net to no avail. I was hoping that I could turn to the forum here and see if anybody knew anything about it.

KIMG9427.jpgKIMG9428.jpg

Thanks for any info you can give. I look forward to many years of cast iron collecting.

A pretty serious collectible you have acquired. Not in the blue book, but probably worth as much as $500 if undamaged. They have been seen sold at auction for $1000, but that was about 10 years ago. Hold on to it. Tightly.

I like when your brain tells you to just get something. Now I'm glad I did. I still don't understand why I can't seem to find anything out about it... Thanks for your info. :p

Probably just too few in circulation to be seen that often. Favorite wasn't around that long to begin with, and it was likely a low volume piece. I'd like to use your photo of the bottom of it on the Gem & Muffin pan page if that's OK.

http://www.castironcollector.com/gems.php

By all means, it definitely needs more information out there.

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

It looks a lot like the #4 Griswold Vienna roll pan.

"Favorite gems were for the most part copies of other standard designs like the bread stick and New England Style roll pans. Some are even seen with Griswold ghost marks."

After seeing your post I remembered reading that on the website... I looked up the Griswold #4 and I can definitely see the resemblance.

Wow! Very nice--that was a lucky find, and I'm so glad you grabbed it when you saw it. I'm fighting the jealousy factor here--would love to have one like it! May your collecting continue so well, and let us know when you figure out the best bread recipe for it.

Back