Happy Thanksgiving

Jeffrey R.

Just want take some time and wish a Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, and if traveling be safe.

As for myself, I am still on the hunt for the cast iron piece, I am coming up short here.:wine:

You're going to need a much larger pot! :icon_rofl:

Only traveling about 10 miles. I'm fortunate that all of my Family lives close to me. :glutton:

RickC, We are staying down on the farm, too many turkeys off the roads and into the snowbanks here already. Like they never drove on snow.

What's a snowbank :chuckle: It was 92°F here today. I wore shorts & a t-shirt. :icon_rofl:

If it rains here the freeway comes to a stop, like they never drove in the rain, which is probably true. Rain is scarce here in CA.

What's a snowbank :chuckle: It was 92°F here today. I wore shorts & a t-shirt. :icon_rofl:

If it rains here the freeway comes to a stop, like they never drove in the rain, which is probably true. Rain is scarce here in CA.

Quit rubbing it in to the non Cali folk,lol.

I went from the hi desert to Ontario, couldn't believe how hot it was:!:. We better not have a shorts and tank top Christmas is all I'm saying:icon_thumbsup:.

If you went from what I know as the Hi-Dessert to Ontario, CA. (Airport I assume?) You where within 15 miles of my house. :p

I've NEVER seen snow or rain on Christmas. Usually it's great weather for kids who got a new bicycle. I'd love to see snow one year.

What's a snowbank :chuckle:

Long story about driving here in the Northeast snow belt. A snowbank is something that runs along both sides of the road and is supposed to keep you on the road, two ways. First way is like horse blinders, eyes on the road. Now I know you Cali folk know all about horses.:icon_rofl: The second way is to act like bumpers to keep you on the road, unfortunately the drivers forgot that they have a brake peddle with that gas peddle.

Fact; Yesterday there was 100 accidents on Vermont roads. All because they used to much gas peddle and not enough brake peddle. Also the snowbanks are not big enough to keep them on the road just yet.

Fact; The turkeys were loose on the roads in NH yesterday. New Hampshire State police say five cruisers that responded to accidents Wednesday were struck by drivers. Police say the cruisers were on the side of the road and had all their lights on. :crackhead: I think the drivers forget that they are supposed to stop in front of a cruiser, not the back of it...
Now I know some of you Cali folk have a problem with blue lights, you take the cruisers on LOOONG drives. (OJ type) In Cali they forget that they are supposed to stop in front of a cruiser.

Snow is mother natures way of making everything beautiful, As it covers up everyones S#%&T in their yard. For a few months anyway.:icon_rofl:

Everyone Stay safe on the roads, Keep an eye out for the road hazards like snow in the East and rain for you Cali folk, and blue lights for everyone else. Well, forget to add all the turkeys also.:mrgreen:

Still need to stop for cast iron

Hope you all had a wonderful turkey day,
A lot of these accidents are because people buy 4X4 trucks/cars SUV's AWD's and they think they can drive like they see on the TV commercials but they forget that they have 4 wheel brakes like any other vehicle and add a little ice and the only thing that's going to make any difference is chains.
In NW CT we got about 10 inches of the white stuff on thanksgiving eve, now for all you people that are snow deprived out there, there is a difference between 10 inches of light fluffy snow and 10 inches of wet dense snow, we got the latter.
my property looks like a scene from a war movie ( with snow )
I have tree branches down all over the place, neighbors tree came down and took my power lines from the house to the pole with it, so we ( family/in laws ) spent thanksgiving on the back-up generator.
During thanksgiving dinner their comes a knock at the front door and its someone that just happened to look up as she was driving by and saw a fire on the utility pole next to my driveway, a tree branch had fallen on it and was happily burning away so in comes the fire department.
You know you just cant make this stuff up, this is one that will go into the books for my family that's for sure.
On a better note, this morning I picked up
. A Wagner Ware sidney O #1109 griddle
. A Wagner Ware sidney O #1218 B square skillet
. A Griswold #57 square skillet
. A Griswold NO.15 oval skillet #1013
having a much better day now.

Last edited:
Hi JHicks,

We had a very nice Thanksgiving, thank you. I see that you had your hands full. Did you get your power back on.
We only got the light fluffy snow. It has been nice and cold, down to 9 deg, heck those Cali folk would be sleeping with their long johns and clothes on.:laughup: I like it when it is 20 below, time to get the snow sled out and kick up some powder.

We brined the turkey for 48 hours, then smoked it outside in the snowstorm.:tasty:

I refused to drive till Monday, just to many turkeys still. I have my new stove set up and have been seasoning some iron.:mrgreen:

Just want take some time and wish a Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, and if traveling be safe.

As for myself, I am still on the hunt for the cast iron piece, I am coming up short here.:wine:

I had a nice 16lb Turkey that fit nicely inside my #14 Camp Oven.

Didn't use it however, as I was cooking inside and a 16 lb turkey with a cast iron pan that weighs about 20 lbs would simply be too much for my back trying to lift it out of the oven without dumping the turkey of burning myself badly.

16 lbs with just the aluminum turkey pan was heavy enough.

Jeffrey R., It finally rained here!!!!

Sunday, I got up semi-early and headed out to the flea market. It was cloudy, but I didn't think it would rain. I move pretty quick because I know what I'm looking for. It started getting darker. Stopped to talk to a friend and he was packing up his stuff. He knew rain when he smelled it! I kept going and then all of the sudden... RAIN!! Here I am in shorts and a t-shirt, but it was great.

You should have seen the people packing up their stuff.

Saw about 40 pieces and only one piece I wanted. Lots of China/Mexico iron, some USA stuff, but nothing great. Looking at some tin upside down cake pans, I turned around and saw this little guy..

Gris-Ashtray-bot,medium.1417421745.JPG

It was cheap, it gave me something to clean up on a rainy Sunday afternoon and luckily it wasn't one of the many fakes.

I had a nice 16 lb. Turkey that fit nicely inside my #14 Camp Oven.

Didn't use it however, as I was cooking inside and a 16 lb. turkey with a cast iron pan that weighs about 20 lbs. would simply be too much for my back trying to lift it out of the oven without dumping the turkey of burning myself badly.

16 lbs. with just the aluminum turkey pan was heavy enough.

My days of cooking a 16 lb. and larger turkey, I hope are over. 10 12 lb. works fine here. As we like a smoked turkey, and a 12 lb. take long enough.

RickC, Just me, I do not like anything about smoking and will not collect something that has to do with it. Do you want to know how many of those I walked away from.

Back