Spider Skillet?

The reason for no bid.
On Oct-25-15 at 18:07:41 PDT, seller added the following information:
After someone pointed out to me this pan however does have a small crack by the handle I will have to end auction and this will be relisted sorry I did not see this .

Thats what i get for not reading :p

The reason for no bid.
On Oct-25-15 at 18:07:41 PDT, seller added the following information:
After someone pointed out to me this pan however does have a small crack by the handle I will have to end auction and this will be relisted sorry I did not see this .

I noticed that today when I was talking to a friend who collects Schwinn bicycles. I said, Oh yeah, look at these!

Another Spider logo has however shown up: http://www.ebay.com/itm/191723940478 Currently at $610 with 23 bids. Too bad really, as the one with the crack had the nicest logo of the three.

It seems a repair to CI is impossible. The best repair is brass for adhesion but looks like hell. A steel weld is the wrong texture and looks just as bad as brass, and is subject to cracking again with a different expansion coefficient from the CI. It is a different world from dealing with wood.

Hilditch

It seems a repair to CI is impossible. The best repair is brass for adhesion but looks like hell. A steel weld is the wrong texture and looks just as bad as brass, and is subject to cracking again with a different expansion coefficient from the CI. It is a different world from dealing with wood.

Hilditch

You will notice right away it's been repaired.You don't have to be an expert to see it's been repaired.

Its impossible to get the texture of cast with a weld. That being said, as im not a "real" collector, it wouldnt hurt the value to me. I like things that have a "story". Gives it character

I don't know Rick, the bottom wear is normal due to the sulfur from the wood fires this was used on. No cracks in this one either.

DS, I believe the sulfur that eats CI comes from coal or oil, not wood. The inside of my 1880 4 hole CI stove has not been eaten up at all by the wood it has burned over the years.

Hilditch

Good to know. What I posted is something I read about or heard. I wish I could place it but I can't. I know that back east coal was a major heating source. Thanks

PS DS stands for David Scott but I use my middle name among friends.

Back