Griswold 11.25 inch "Skillet Griddle"

EdP

Hello everyone,

A recent find is a Griswold 11.25 inch "Skillet Griddle", small block logo for - $75, I would not have paid any more than that, but, I don't see many griddles around in my local area...tried to haggle a little, but seller didn't budge...anyway, it is now soaking in a lye bath. Anxious to try it out on pancakes and pizza. :glutton:

http://imgur.com/a/zMTrj

EC,
Nice skillet griddle, I have a Wagner almost exactly like it. I just had gotten it done and started to use it. So far I'm liking it very much but still getting it broke in. I had been wanting one myself and had looking for the Griswold style. Yours is like mine with no pour spouts. And from what I've seen for sale I think you're in the ballpark on price Give or take. I still would like the upgrade mine to a Griswold 109 or 110 with pour spouts for my personal preference.

I have not done pancakes in it yet but French toast turned out nice.
Also done eggs a couple of times but the pan
Still needs a tad more use but made handling them simple and easy to turn.

I would have washed it with Dawn, Hilditch

Yea, ya could. But, the angle of light did show too well, but, there was a good layer of old burnt grease on interior. For me, for sanitary reasons alone, I always strip my old iron finds to bare metal and re-season before I use them. Who knows what, where and how long an old piece of iron has been sitting around and old seasoning going rancid.

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

EC,
I still would like the upgrade mine to a Griswold 109 or 110 with pour spouts for my personal preference.

Yea, I have been wanting a larger, round vintage griddle of a sort. I have a square 11.25 inch BSR breakfast griddle from the 1970s (?) I picked up at an estate sale last year. A real champ at pancakes and french toast.

BSR breakfast griddle > http://imgur.com/a/E99ET

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

I will put up more pics after clean up hopefully over the weekend. The layer(s) of old burnt grease was not too thick, so maybe by Sunday or next week sometime.

I have the very same pan that I picked up just recently as well . I have it cleaned now , but haven't used it yet .

I knew this when I bought it and I got it at a great price (if I remember right $15) , but some jack a$$ tried cleaning it with a grinder . Luckily they only touched the outside . Anyway , the writing is still perfectly clear on the bottom and the cooking surface is nice . When it's sitting right side up for cooking you can't even tell , so it'll be a great user , just really devalued .

I'll probably put 2 or 3 more rounds of seasoning on it and it will be so black that the light parts where the grinder touched it won't show much unless you really look at it .

but some jack a$$ tried cleaning it with a grinder . Luckily they only touched the outside. When it's sitting right side up for cooking you can't even tell , so it'll be a great user , just really devalued.

I'll probably put 2 or 3 more rounds of seasoning on it and it will be so black that the light parts where the grinder touched it won't show much unless you really look at it .

Yea, some folks out there who are not knowledgeable/or just don't know better about what they are doing will do things to old vintage CI that are deplorable. Could you post a few pics?

Took a couple of pics . This is after 4 rounds of seasoning .But like I said , I'll do 2 or 3 more and it'll be pretty black then .

It's a real shame though .

P1080363_zpsccijs3vh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1080359_zpsnicxltni.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1080358_zpsht5y6t7n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

OMG. Fifty lashes! Yea, shame to say the least. Well, at least ya can still whip up pancakes with it and french toast! :glutton: I check mine earlier this evening and I am beginning to see what appears to be circular machine marks on cooking surface.

Last edited:
I'm reminded of what was supposedly a quote from A. Einstein: Genius, unlike stupidity, has it's limits. Am also reminded of Dante's Inferno; there must be a special place down there for people who trash cast iron utensils!:mad:

I'm reminded of what was supposedly a quote from A. Einstein: Genius, unlike stupidity, has it's limits. Am also reminded of Dante's Inferno; there must be a special place down there for people who trash cast iron utensils!:mad:

Dittos.

---------- Post added at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

I checked on this Griswold griddle to see how it was coming along in the lye bath/solution. I am beginning to see circular machine marks on the cooking surface.

VOi5Pde.jpg

Last edited:
I checked on this Griswold griddle to see how it was coming along in the lye bath/solution. I am beginning to see circular machine marks on the cooking surface.

D5it1GRh.jpg

Yes, I have a Griswold #8 regular skillet from the 1940s with interior circular machine marks. I believe other brands did as well back in the day.

I just took a close look at the cooking surface of mine . It was quite heavily used (I guess that's how it got so much buildup on it ) and the cooking surface has some wear but it's smooth . But I can still see those circular marks around the outer edge of the cooking surface . So yes I would say those marks are from when the pan was made .

My, oh my. I found yet another skillet griddle like mine except this one is a Model 202A which could mean it has pour spouts. Mine is a 202B which could mean without pour spouts. Sits flat and no cracks and it seems to be every bit as nice as mine with exception of no pour spouts. Seller is asking $175

Ed the price seems high to me. Check out the eBay sold prices will give you a ballpark idea of worth. I'll look on there from time to time, and have seen a good deal now and then.

Ed the price seems high to me. Check out the eBay sold prices will give you a ballpark idea of worth. I'll look on there from time to time, and have seen a good deal now and then.

Yea I think so too. I might haggle some, but I doubt I'd get down below a C note.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back