Great, Great Grandmas Skillet?

M Garner

this is said to be my great, great grandmas skillet. there is a couple of problems. I thought it was a 3 notch lodge, it appears to have 4 where my thumb is, is #4 the other thing is she died in 1939 I don't think they had a 3 notch lodge in 39 or ever a 4 notch. you can see from the crust it has been used on a wood stove, so I am fairly sure it was hers. so what is it?
pqazcr0l.jpg

I am a new collector/user of CI, and I do not possess the knowledge to give a definitive answer to your question. Nevertheless, I discovered that there is an unmarked #8 dutch oven bottom topped by a Martin lid listed for sale on ebay right now. The dutch oven bottom listed for sale appears to be similar to your pot. It has a heat ring with four notches. Because you did not include a picture of your pot showing the handles, I am unable to discern whether your pot is identical to the one listed for sale. I understand that appearance of a Martin lid on top of the pot offered for sale on ebay is no guarantee that the pot was made by Martin. Here is the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cast-Iron-...335603?hash=item2618b5f6b3:g:U9MAAOSw9JpcT25z

Question for Doug: Is the pot in the ebay listing heat damaged, or is it just rusty? Doug, thank you in advance for answering my question.

Last edited:
The lid and pot in the listing both appear fire/heat damaged. The badly misshapen bail handle also indicates it has lost its tempering as a result.

Some Sears Maid of Honor skillets have four notches.

The handle can sometimes provide a clue, which is why it is requested that photos asking for ID help show it.

g161wsul.jpg

here you go, I hope this will shed some light,,,,,,

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

75QPA0Il.jpg

Its possible it could be a Classic brand skillet, from overseas. I got one in KY that looks kinda like that.

well if it is from overseas it came here many, many decades ago. I know it came from my great grandmother that died in about 1974 and she said it was her mothers who died in 1939 but she could have been confused and got it mixed up with another skillet. but in those days most old folks in the south only had one skillet to there name. and why dose it have 4 notches?

well I asked on that thread back then and got no answer then. I guess it is a mystery that won't be solved,,,,,,,,,,,,

no I won't be cleaning it. I don't think that will solve anything and I like the history my great, great grandma burned on it,,,,,,,,,,,:razz:

Back