Buy / Sell Forum Here?

Not presently. The question was posed recently by another member. My reply:

I would be reluctant to establish a buy/sell/trade mechanism out of concern that someone unhappy with a transaction would want "the house" to assume responsibility and intervene. I also would like the focus to continue to be educational. I have seen several facebook groups start out as Q&A and then turn into swap meets, which I wouldn't want to happen here.

Okie Dokie

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

I'm new and don't want to break or even bend the rules, but does anyone ever post a link to an item for sale and ask for an opinion? I can see how that might be frowned upon.

Thanks-

Okie Dokie

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

I'm new and don't want to break or even bend the rules, but does anyone ever post a link to an item for sale and ask for an opinion? I can see how that might be frowned upon.

Thanks-

Sometimes folks do that, and I've never seen anyone take issue with it.

Why not just place a post--looking for? Just let people know what you want. If someone shows a nice piece that you are interested in, why not PM that person and make an offer? When I'm hunting, I'm going to dicker with the owner, try to get the price where I want it. Too much? I walk off. That's part of the fun of hunting CI--the "horse trading," so to speak. You see something I have and want it--PM me and we will deal. I want too much--"Thank you, but no." You low ball--"Thank you, but no."

I guess I need to clarify here. Using the forum to show items FS or post WTB requests, but then taking negotiations to PMs would still constitute using the forum as a B/S/T mechanism. That would also extend to unsolicited offers on show & tell postings. Neither I nor individual members can guarantee the buyer or seller protections available through formally established venues such as eBay. It's just a can of worms I am not interested in opening here. I appreciate everyone's understanding and cooperation on this matter.

Asking opinions about CI items for sale on eBay is also OK.

Glenn, you mean post such a request on this forum?

That would be up the the Forum Admin. As an example, "Hey people. I need a #8 lid for my #8 roasting pan. It's an unmarked Wagner I want to use. Anybody have a Lodge or unmarked Wagner Lid they can spare?" I'm not a lawyer, but a simple statement by the Site Admin, somewhere noticeable, that the site does not host sales and that any done are solely at the responsibility and liability of the the parties involved in any sales. The site will not take any part of the responsibility of the sale or any damages suffered by either party. As said, I am not an attorney and this is merely my opinion. I'm sure there are probably a lot of rules and regulations about all this that I am blissfully unaware of.

I had to come back and add this. I am a guest here, allowed to use this site and adhere to rules and policies. I didn't create this forum, so it's like the guy riding the train--you don't get to push the throttle, hit the brakes or blow the whistle--you ride the train. This is a valuable forum and has helped me immensely--I'll abide by the decisions of those that do run the forum. Plenty of other places to sell things, anyway.

Good question Ted. Maybe someone could start a sister site. No real affiliation but we all know that's where we go. But I would fear someone would feel slighted in a deal and make problems over here. Oh well back to the garage sales and thrift stores.

Forums are mixed with Buy/Sell sub-forums. It adds a whole other level of moderator management, and could very well open the forum owner up for liability.

If it were my forum, I'd pass on all that. Keep it commerce free. My opinion.

It would be nice to buy/sell/trade via this forum, but I can certainly see how hard feelings could result from a deal gone sour. Probably best to keep the forum as is...

On my opinion I think this site is like a library only educational, I wish stay as is and not like a book store, there are so many places to do business.

Last edited:
I think that this site has a LOT to offer the way it is. My thinking is that this is a place to come and learn with no stress from deals gone wrong. This site does not cost you or myself anything other that our quest for knowledge. I for one would not like to see it turn into a cast iron sales web site, as it will have to cost someone.

Just My 2 Cents

I think that this site has a LOT to offer the way it is. My thinking is that this is a place to come and learn with no stress from deals gone wrong. This site does not cost you or myself anything other that our quest for knowledge. I for one would not like to see it turn into a cast iron sales web site, as it will have to cost someone.

Just My 2 Cents

:icon_thumbsup:

I can see both sides of this one. And being the new guy here, my 2 cents doesn't carry much weight. Joining up here makes 20 forums that I belong to. I was admin on a small private forum once. It certainly can be time consuming. My hat is off to Doug for doing what he does.

That being said, a majority of the forums I'm in do have a classified. They seem to run with little or no problems. Like anything, rules make or break any situation. A good example might be the Coleman forum. Unfortunately, you can't go and see for yourself unless you're a member there, their forum software allows this restriction which is handy to keep out people who are just out to sell their stuff. And I forget which forum it is, but there is one that won't allow you to post in the classified unless you have a high enough post count, preventing people from joining to just sell stuff. But again, it's work. The good thing about having a classified is that where else but an enthusiast site will have the hard to find items that you occasionally need?, That lid you have, because the pot or pan cracked? To use the Coleman forum as an example again, it seems to me that you get a more fair price from a fellow forum member than you will from an Ebay seller.

And just to clarify, I don't buy or sell anywhere. I haven't worked in 10 years. I'm not allowed to say I'm retired. I'm considered a house husband. We get by. The cool thing about being an enthusiast is that if the word is out amongst your circle of friends, occasionally people give you stuff. Or you find real deals. I just got a 6" skillet for $4.00, and it turns out that it's a Vollrath, which, being a newb, probably doesn't mean that much to me due to my ignorance on the subject, but I think it's cool having something like this that's 50 or so years old.Can hardly wait to cook in it.

Back