I got three cleaned up this weekend!

J. Fisher

Let me know what you think or if any of my ID's are wrong. I only had time to do two rounds of seasoning, but I think they look pretty great!

First - Early Lodge #7, unbroken heat ring, great condition
lF6yGd3l.jpg
uI9pfZ8l.jpg
qKpEf4Dl.jpg
013gnANl.jpg

Oh- I guess I'm only allowed 5 images. Is it alright to continue with pics in another post in this thread? I have two other skillet I'd like to share.

Rick- this is 2 rounds of Crisco on the barbecue at 450 for 1 hr (not including warm up and wipe down time). I ran out of time for a third round. I used a Crisbee stick last time and it was ok- but I still think Crisco is fine especially since I'm seasoning outside and don't have to think about smoking up the house.

Benjamin- It like it too! The only thing is that the handle is pretty wide and it's less comfortable to grip. My favorite pan from these three is the Lodge. It feels great to hold!

Impressive J. Fisher. Makes me re-think my my seasoning process (which I always do.) Love to test new methods!! Lately have been using grapeseed oil and seasoning at 450. Had great results and a darker pan. Thinking about using the brick oven which gets above 800 degrees to test avocado oil which has a smoke rate around 500 degrees.

Impressive J. Fisher. Makes me re-think my my seasoning process (which I always do.) Love to test new methods!! Lately have been using grapeseed oil and seasoning at 450. Had great results and a darker pan. Thinking about using the brick oven which gets above 800 degrees to test avocado oil which has a smoke rate around 500 degrees.

I'm not an expert on the chemistry side of things, but my gut reaction is that 800 sounds excessive for seasoning. I think there is some argument out there for whether you need to exceed the smoke point or not, but I don't think you need to exceed it by that much. 800 is approaching SCO temps, if I recall correctly.

Don't some of the newer SCOs have a low setting that works at 700F? And aren't some people using that to strip off the old seasoning?

If the other way works perfectly, then I don't see what would be gained by trying to improve on it. I also suspect that you *want* a certain degree of softness to your seasoning. Hardness generally implies inflexibility as well, and your seasoning has to be able to expand and contract with the iron or it will (again, I *suspect*) crack and peel.

Back