After Intl Seasoning

Ok I've read that how does the 2nd and 3rd seasoning go? Do you put the crisco on a cold pan and heat it up? Or do you take it to a certain temp and then apply the oil or? Can anyone give a certain explanation? Sorry I'm a black and white person and don't like gray areas lol.... After the Intl seasoning I tried to apply second coating at 200 and it was like it didn't want to apply. So I tried at 300 and didn't seem to want to apply so, is it applying a small amount that can't be seen and just keep going on?

Mike

Mike,
I am new to the process of restoring cast iron and very much a creature of habit. From reading here on the site my routine has developed:
1) Heat cast iron in oven 100-200 degrees, "to open the pours"

2) Apply thin film oil. I have chosen to stay with Crisco that has been used to to fry french fries. The residual starch adds carbon for the seasoning process.

3) Wipe excess oil off with soft cloth, such as old T shirt. The layer should be thin enough to "polymerize". To much will leave a sticky mess and I have had some look spotty.

4) heat in oven to 350-375 degrees for about an hour. Turn off oven and allow to stay over night cooling slowly.
I want to give credit to all the wonderful contributors to this website, whose post I have read and probably just pretty much quoted.
I have come to the conclusion, seasoning can't be rushed, it just happens along the way,
Jim

The following is just my personal method and is by no means "the best way" it just works for me.

After removing the piece from my e-tank, scrubbing with a stainless chore-boy until a consistent dull gray, then towel drying, I place it in a 200-220 degree oven for 10 minutes to remove all of the remaining water. Then a liberal amount of canola oil is applied to every part of the piece. Then, I wipe off as much of the oil as I can. Any excess, especially on the older, glass-like pieces will pool up and cause droplets on the surface. Then back in the oven at 350 for 45 minutes. When removed, it should be dull dark gray in color and not shiny. Then apply another layer of oil and wipe dry again. Back in the oven at 400 for a half hour. Back out, another layer of oil, wipe dry, and back in at 450 for a half hour, then turn off the oven and allow to cool down. Once it's cool I remove it and wipe another layer of oil on it and it's good to go.

If you go to the "Cast Iron Restoration" tab of the Home Page of this site and then to "About Seasoning" I think you will find all you need to know in the "Initial Seasoning" section - how to heat up the pan, when to put on the Crisco, the importance of wiping down, etc. When the first cycle is complete the instructions then go on to say " If you wish, you can repeat the oil-baking process one or more times."

I've used this method successfully many times.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Dan I have read the section and was hoping some people would share how they do theres like a few people have here. I have no one around here that I know of that I can talk to about it so hence make a post and hope for the best lol :) Much appreciated people taking a little time and sharing how they do theres. Sometimes its all in the details or at least in my mind lol.

Please explain what you mean by "didn't want to apply".

Once heated to 200 I tried to apply another coat to the pan and it didn't spread evenly "thin coat of oil" it's like balled up and acted like it wasn't going to stick to that surface, if that makes sense.

I have found that if you are doing multiple pans in your second and third seasonings to heat the pan to 200 for longer to get them to temperatur. I go 40-50 minutes to get them warm. Then apply seasoning oil and buff it till it looks dry with your Scotts shop towels(blue) Back in for an hour and 10 minutes at 410 degrees or what ever temp is best for your seasoning product(I like Crisbee)Let it cool down with the oven and do not rush it. I have had pans be blotchy where it looks like the seasoning is not even when I have taken them out early to cool.

I was following the Intl seasoning method. First step was heat pan to 200 degrees to open the pores and apply oil.... It never said do this on second round etc etc...

I was following the Intl seasoning method. First step was heat pan to 200 degrees to open the pores and apply oil.... It never said do this on second round etc etc...
No, it says preheat the oven to 200F, and place the towel-dried pan in the oven to dry it completely. Then it instructs you to raise the temp in increments to a point near the smoke point of the oil you'll be using. There is no mention of opening pores because there are no pores.

No Your Right, I've read some seasoning methods from a couple different places and must have picked that up somewhere else...

Back