1st Series Erie No. 10 Question

JaredS

There is a No. 10 1st series Erie at a local shop for $35. The pan is crusty. It has a noticable upward warp to the cooking surface, but not a bad one. There appears to be significant sulfur damage in the middle bottom surface, but the damaged is isolated to the central area and does not obscure any brand or size markings. I am relatively sure the pan is not cracked; the internal surface is relatively clean and appears crack free. There is a chance that there is a crack under the crud and not showing through the interior seasoning, but there is always that chance.

How many of you would risk it? Show of hands!

I'll try to snap some pics if I go back tomorrow, but the above description is pretty spot on.

The short answer is I would have to hold it in my hand to make that decision. Then If I rationalized whether I needed it versus how much I liked and took in consideration that I took early retirement (fixed income) and whether or not I could get my money back if I chose to sell it. Then I would walk away empty handed or with a piece of iron in my hand. I have regrets of both walking away and pulling the trigger. Being excited about a piece you find when you start out in this hobby can cost you. I call it tuition in the school of cast iron collecting!

Pieces like that don't come up often around here in the wild. That's where I get my Iron. I would point out to the seller what the issues are. See if he could do better on the price. It's your call if you really want it or can live without it. I've learned to walk away caused, I got burned buying crusty pieces in the beginning that turned out to be cracked or spinners after a good cleaning. jmo

I think that's what I paid for mine.. and it was clean, flat and no-pitting... (but yeah, I know I got lucky with mine)... to me, it really depends on the extent of the things you mention... amount of pitting... amount of warp... I would do $35 for a small amount of both... but not a large amount of either.

these pics were 'as found'... https://imgur.com/a/DcqAK

After looking at your pictures, I’m sure I would have made the plunge! The sulfur pitting takes away some monetary value to serious collectors but I think it adds character. And the amount you paid wouldn’t break me! Enjoy and post pictures after restoring.

We'll see. The sulfured could be simple beauty marks or they could be leprous pockmarks. That's the risk! I've restored worse.

1st series Erie's are not common by any means... and 10's probably less so than other sizes... and to find one flat and not cracked even less common... so a little pitting and only $33... yeah that's a good deal.

Back