Broken CI, what to do?

EricC

Some may recall I recently posted elsewhere about receiving a BSR 6-wedge corn bread skillet that was broken in shipping. I'm happy to say I've replaced it with another, acquired at my same target price. But now I'm left with the question, what to do with the broken one?

I could keep it as my "one-of-a-kind 5-wedge CBS", but I'm not sure it's still worth the effort to clean it up and the storage space to keep it around. Or I could just chuck it.

I'm not really looking for advice per se, but I am interested in hearing what y'all have done with your broken CI. I recall seeing some continue to use a broken-handled skillet some way or another.

Cheers!

Eric it sounds like it's more than just the handle that's missing. If just the handle cut smooth and file. And use it to serve beef or chicken fajitas in two wedges and peppers in one, onions in one or two and kept warm in the oven till all is ready. Self serve off table with tongs.

I seen a older Wagner with a small hole drilled in the center made into a clock. It was priced to high to do something with. But my thought if found cheap was to drill more small holes and use on the grill to do smaller cut up vegetables that would normally fall threw that had that grill or smoker taste.

Comment: I like Steven's idea, but if working with tools isn't your thing, or the break precludes such a fix, you can recycle. Sad story anyway you look at it...:frown:

It's part of the outer rim that's broken, where one of the wedges is. Yes, I'm unlikely to keep it.

But what I was hoping for from this thread was for people to share what they've done with their broken CI, unrelated to mine.

Being on top of a ridge, I played discuss thrower with a broken waffle paddle down into the woods, followed by it’s mate for Mother Nature to do with them what she wished.

Hilditch

Am I the only one that's wanted to melt down broken CI and cast something new with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would it work for a sacrificial anode in an etank? Seems having that large surface area would help with the speed of the process.

Is there a scrap yard reasonably close by? That way you might get a few pennies, and it'd be a better use of the space than putting it in a landfill, which will take no telling how long till it rusts away.

Steve

Since I tend to be cheap when it comes to sacrificial anodes, I can't think of a better reuse for a broken wedge pan.

If not used as an anode, you can bury it near your favorite tree.
Trees like that extra iron. I have done it with old nails that got rusty and unusable. Even your lawn will get greener with it in smaller pieces. :)

Place it close to where you're cleaning the new one. Place a hammer close by. Every time you get aggravated with the new one, hit it with the hammer. This will make you feel better without damaging the one that's intact.

Yeah I think it's the first one of my threads in this forum that's been zombied, back from the dead.

But though I in general agree with the common convention that it's in poor taste to bump dead threads, I also think there's no harm if it still has relevance and more can be added to the discussion. So I give this one a pass.

Back