Finding EBay Sellers That Specialize in Cast Iron?

Jack K

Friends,

Sorting through the voluminous amount of cast iron junk that appears on eBay is tedious and time-consuming (time is money). I'd rather spend a more on money on something that is sold by a knowledgeable and reputable dealer than spend hours in front of the computer.

Is there a way to identify eBay sellers that specialize in selling cast iron cookware?

Many thanks,

Jack

Yes eBay takes time and diamonds in the ruff can be found when you take your time, unless money spent doesn’t matter.

In my neck of the woods a lady has a #9 early Griswold she wants $100 for. I just can’t do it till she comes to my price. I’m cheap and love a good bargain, a dollar saved today is one I can spend tomorrow.

There are eBay sellers that deal in a lot of cast iron. To say they specialize, I'm not so certain that's really an apropos term. My experience has been that there are a handful of eBay sellers who list a lot of cast iron at very high starting prices (and re-list it over and over). And if they do sell any of it, it's probably to buyers who aren't truly familiar with realistic prevailing CI values.

That's not to say that I haven't bought perhaps hundreds of pieces of CI off eBay, but I don't think it's ever been from the same person. I think your chances of ending up happy or unhappy are not really dependent upon how much or how little CI a particular seller has sold.

What you really need to focus on is becoming a savvy buyer, looking for the right cues in descriptions, asking the right questions/getting the right answers, and deciding your budget limitations before pulling the trigger and buying a piece off eBay. If you've asked beforehand if the piece is warped/cracked/pitted and received satisfactory answers, then you have a leg to stand on if it arrives in a condition other than alleged.

Having said all that, yes, there are sellers I've seen over the years who appeared reputable and listed CI regularly at reasonable prices. But I look to purchase CI that I want for my collection, not simply anything someone has listed just because they happen to be considered a reputable seller. (If that makes sense.)

It *does* make sense, thanks Doug. Being new to this, I still get wrapped up in going overboard when bidding on an eBay item - but fortunately, in all cases but one somebody else went overboard to a greater extent. My best experience has been buying an item listed with a price + OBO by a seller that is knows his/her stuff and isn't a jerk.

I look for items that are ready to use - I haven't the time or facilities to soak in lye and de-rust. I'm not a collector, I purchase items with the intent to cook and the hang on a wall or kitchen pot hanger to avoid the need to nest them in a cabinet.

I see that you're the administrator? If so, please know that this is a great site, it provides info and insite - and it's fun. Well done, Doug.

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

Thank you, Steven C., for your insight!

Jack....Your question is a good one. Most eBay sellers tend to list on the high side and if their item doesn't sell within a given amount of time they will show a percentage "off" the original listed price. Kind of like a "switch and bait thing" if you know what I mean.
I've found thru experience that you have to go into a bidding practice where by you have a maximum you're willing to spend on an item and when it goes beyond that target just walk away. I look at the item based on its value (as a collector or re-sale) and see what the seller is asking for shipping. Based on those factors I set my maximum bid price and stay the course.
For example: If a piece of CI is valued at $300 and the seller wants $50 to ship it than $250 is my max set bidding price.
Another rule to practice is to stay away from pieces that a seller has listed where as the pieces are not cleaned and or are rusted. More times than not those pieces have something wrong with them and if the seller has no interest in presenting them for maximum profit he's/she's trying to unload them for a reason. They often are listed as "barn find" but even if they are they should be cleaned enough to know what shape they're in.
I see more desirable pieces on ETSY than eBay but even then you still need to use common sense with at least some knowledge before pulling the trigger.
Hope this helped some. Good luck and welcome to CIC.

Jack I’m not a collector as well. I enjoy functional pieces of cookware that have Proving it’s self over in time and many cases much more than a hundred years.
I’ve got a favorite brand and time frame I look for, but also have place holders that are old till I find what my OCD is looking for. It still cooks and gets the job done.

Take your time and enjoy what it is and take in the knowledge here that many enjoy sharing.

One last thing,, you mentioned something about a suitable way to store/display your cookware. A thread here of members put together for the space available they utilized for size and space.
http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2248&highlight=Displaying+cast+iron

Last edited:
Welcome to CIC Jack K, Lots of good info here, read and ask questions.

Friends,
Is there a way to identify eBay sellers that specialize in selling cast iron cookware?

Many thanks,
Jack

That is a hard question to answer. It seems like every antique dealer, weekend warrior, scrap man, picker, and everyone else sells cast iron. Some know what they are doing and some do not, just like auto mechanics. And some just want to sell cracked junk.

Best thing I can offer is that you know what you are looking for and what condition you want ( dirty, clean, seasoned, pitted, rusty) Price can be based on a lot of things, sometimes no rime or reason. But condition, rarity, cleaned and seasoned, marked v unmarked, age, will greatly effect the price. Also and this is a big one, does the shop / person selling know how to pack and ship cast iron. Get insurance on any purchase.
Lots of information on this site as you know and also lots go help from other posters.

Do not limit yourself to just eBay, as MDFarley posted "I see more desirable pieces on ETSY than eBay" Etsy is not an auction site so that might somewhat make it easer for you. Also what I wrote above applies to any where cast iron is sold not just eBay. Tread slow, you will get a feel for it.:icon_thumbsup:

I am on another collectible forum and they have a section for people looking for certain items and selling too. The people on that forum have pretty much gotten to know each other and it police’s itself...nobody wants to be “that guy” who misrepresented an item for a few$$$. I find items, parts there all the time. It would be a good section on this site I think.

I am on another collectible forum and they have a section for people looking for certain items and selling too. It would be a good section on this site I think.

I've always wondered why there was no classified forum, here. I like the idea. :icon_thumbsup:

There is no (and will be no) buy/sell/trade mechanism here out of concern that someone unhappy with a transaction would want "the house" to either assume responsibility or intervene. For that reason, the forum terms of service prohibit buy/sell/trade postings. My intent has always been and continues to be that the focus of the forum be an educational one. I have seen several facebook groups start out as Q&A and then turn into swap meets, which I am not interested in having happen here.

Back