Favorite cooking pan

DaveS

Hi all,

Wondering what people have found to be the best skillet (manufacturer, era, etc) for cooking. I realize this is a personal preference, but am curious nonetheless. Or do people have different favorites for different types of food? I ask because I only plan to buy pieces that I actually cook with, and want to get the most value for my money. Originally I was just looking for the lightest pieces, but I've also read in a couple places that really light pans don't retain heat as well because their walls are so thin, so maybe there's a sweet spot in the middle? Would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Dave

Dave,
You only think you want to hear everyone's thoughts. This topic is Pandora's box has been discussed over and over on this forum. Some folks are rabid in their thinking that only their preferred brand is the way to go. It is truly personal preference.

I prefer BSR because those pieces are work horses and reasonably priced. But the few pieces that stay next to my stove include BSR, Lodge, Griswold and Wagner. Sizes 6 thru 10 and some cornbread molds. They all perform well. They each have their assigned tasks.

It boils down to what you like and what you are willing to pay. Now stand back and wait for the other opinions.

Enjoy your cast iron.

Jack

A better question might be, "What is your favorite pan for cooking ________?"

I go to different pans for different things. For a well-seared steak, my heavy, 1950s Lodge #10. For sauteing vegetables to just the right al dente, my lighter Griswold LBL smooth bottom #8 that was my Grandmother's.

Depends. What? How cooked? Where? Size? Quantity? Skill level? Technique? No sweet spot, but some have better hot spots than others.

Hilditch

Thanks all for the input. From what I'm hearing, the only way to really figure out what works best is trial and error. Sounds like fun to me!

Is it generally true that heavier pans with thicker walls are better for getting a good sear on meat, and thinner, lighter ones are better for cooking more gently/with finesse? Or is even that too much of a generalization?

I like the word experience more than the term trial and error. Trial and error leads to failure or success. Experience leads to betterment. I can sear a filet on a spatula - ahh success!

Absolutely too much of a generalization. The perfectly cooked meal, any meal, can be cooked in any Dutch oven out there - heavy or light. Then other factors come into play.

Hilditch

I like the word experience more than the term trial and error. Trial and error leads to failure or success. Experience leads to betterment. I can sear a filet on a spatula - ahh success!

Absolutely too much of a generalization. The perfectly cooked meal, any meal, can be cooked in any Dutch oven out there - heavy or light. Then other factors come into play.

Hilditch

You're right, experience is a better word, and more accurate.

Subconsciously you may of already picked a favorite piece or two without realizing it yet. Myself have found I was picking certain pans for certain things and it dawned on that I was doing that very thing. I guess some of it was trial and Error looking for what gave me the best results. They all don't have to be Griswold or Wagner.;) there are many makers I haven't had the pleasure to try yet. I may find some new favorites.

Happy cooking
Steve,

Back