Chicken Fryer Collection

Jody M

I picked up a couple of chicken fryers in some piles I bought recently and it made me start to wonder how many different variations I currently have on hand. After some digging around in my shed and "clean iron" room, I came up with these 9.
Top row, L to R
Unmarked Wagner, Hammered CHF #89, Hammered unmarked Wagner
Middle row, L to R
Favorite Ware Piqua smiley, Griswold Iron Mountain, BSR Century series
Bottom row, L to R
3-notch Lodge, Wagner 1401 w/ heat ring, Wagner 1891 commemorative
Some of the pieces in the bottom row still need restored.
I know there are many others, but thought it was pretty cool that I had this many different ones. I actually don't have any doubles right now either.

https://imgur.com/StIyFSn

do you count the double skillet sets and the combo cookers, like the lodge 4in1, or the various deep fat fryers with baskets?

because I was noticing a while back that I have a stupid number of chicken fryers (I have 5 or 6 of the lodge hammered 4in1's)... 2 or 3 iron mountain chicken pans with lids, 2 or 3 variations of favorite and chf, regular lodge, hammered lodge, hammered chf, hammered griswold, small logo chicken fryer with lid, small logo double skillet set, at least 2 different wagner chicken fryers... the problem with chicken fryers is they almost always clean up really well... its like people actually just used them to fry in them and the cooking surfaces clean up like glass.

Very nice collection there!
I have a question for you guys here. I was told once a chicken fryer did not have lips but a true deep skillet does? Was that a true statement? i have only had one true chicken fryer if that was the case. A friend ended up with it. A Wagner and I had the marked glass lid to fit it. The two I have with the lips are a Martin with the Hamburger Logo and a fine Hammered Lodge. I love that thing and am still trying to find the lid that fits it. It is glass slick and cleans uop with a paper towel wipe job. Again thanks for the post. Deep skillets or chicken fryers I am beginning to fall in love with them . A lady found out I have an etank and clean skillets. She asked me to clean on for her. It made it's way to my house and is being cleaned now. The unmarked Wagner with the small single hole in the handle. Neat skillet and can hardly await to place it into her hands. Hope to find one for myself sometime.

do you count the double skillet sets and the combo cookers, like the lodge 4in1, or the various deep fat fryers with baskets?

because I was noticing a while back that I have a stupid number of chicken fryers (I have 5 or 6 of the lodge hammered 4in1's)... 2 or 3 iron mountain chicken pans with lids, 2 or 3 variations of favorite and chf, regular lodge, hammered lodge, hammered chf, hammered griswold, small logo chicken fryer with lid, small logo double skillet set, at least 2 different wagner chicken fryers... the problem with chicken fryers is they almost always clean up really well... its like people actually just used them to fry in them and the cooking surfaces clean up like glass.

Sure, let's count them all, lol. Very impressive collection you have Doug.

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

Very nice collection there!
I have a question for you guys here. I was told once a chicken fryer did not have lips but a true deep skillet does? Was that a true statement? i have only had one true chicken fryer if that was the case. A friend ended up with it. A Wagner and I had the marked glass lid to fit it. The two I have with the lips are a Martin with the Hamburger Logo and a fine Hammered Lodge. I love that thing and am still trying to find the lid that fits it. It is glass slick and cleans uop with a paper towel wipe job. Again thanks for the post. Deep skillets or chicken fryers I am beginning to fall in love with them . A lady found out I have an etank and clean skillets. She asked me to clean on for her. It made it's way to my house and is being cleaned now. The unmarked Wagner with the small single hole in the handle. Neat skillet and can hardly await to place it into her hands. Hope to find one for myself sometime.

Martin, this old thread discusses the difference. Doug addresses the difference.
http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8038&highlight=deep+skillet+chicken

Thank you Jody,
Makes it as clear as mud to me :). I suppose to call them what they are is to see what they are advertised originally as. Really does not matter as I am loving the two I have. The unmarked Wagner with the hole in the handle was finished yesterday. Will make a delivery in next few days and make the owner happy. She is not a collector just a daily user. This may get the collector bug in her going though.
Marty

Back