Rust After Seasoning and Cooking

SMorris

I did some experimenting with an E-Tank and on my third attempt I cleaned my first skillet. I seasoned it and started using it with no problems. I repeated the process for the other skillet and the two dutch ovens. The skillet was fine, but the dutch ovens not so much.

I seasoned the dutch ovens (and the skillets) with lard, sitting upside down on the oven rack. I used a microfiber cloth to apply my coats of lard and baked the ovens at 400 degrees for about an hour. I repeated that process three more times. When I felt like I was finished, I excitedly seasoned a pork roast and cooked it. When it was done, I opened the lid, and to my surprise, there was rust on the lid and the ring above the food. The roast was great, but I didn't think that it was normal for the oven to rust. After dinner, I scrubbed the rust out (it came out easily) and figured I needed to season more. I seasoned another few times, used it, same result. I put it back in the E-Tank and stripped it and started all over. I'm still having the same issue though. Is this just to be expected?

I'm too lazy to look it up but if you season them at at something above the smoking point of whatever oil you are using, you will have better results. I do my initial seasoning at 425 using canola oil. After I get a coat or two I bump it up to 475 - 500. Ten minutes at a time. Once it gets to a really good smoking point i apply coat after coat of oil, which smokes away as fast as I apply it, then then I turn off the oven and let it cool with the pans inside. They come out very back and uniform in color.

Super secret. Don't tell anybody.

Happy hunting.

Jack

Hi Morris,I'm agree with jack,that pan needs more heat and a little longer on the oven,is a good idea to fry any thing,fish,French fries,pop corn,or whatever a couple times,before you cook anything with a lot of moisture,

Hi Morris,I'm agree with jack,that pan needs more heat and a little longer on the oven,is a good idea to fry any thing,fish,French fries,pop corn,or whatever a couple times,before you cook anything with a lot of moisture,

+1 on the popcorn. I’ve found that making popcorn is one of the most efficient ways to build seasoning.

Got some rust on a chicken fryer and lid just like you described.
Was a first or second use of the pan.
Wiped out easily with a dry paper towel. Pan cleaned like usual, a few paper towels wiped clean. I gave the lid a shot of Pam to help with any possible rusting, just check it and it's looking good.
Keep using your pans and they'll just keep getting better.

Back