Hello from SW Ohio

AndyK

I've been watching Food Network for years, and I've always seen various chefs searing meat and moving the cast iron (or stainless steel) pan to the oven to finish. Not having any suitable pans of my own, I asked my mom if I could borrow one of her CI pans to experiment with. She said she hardly ever used them and I could have them both. "Them" being the Wagner Ware (stylized logo, high, 1924-1935) 1056 and 1058 that her mother had passed on to her.

I fell in love.

The first piece I bought was a Chicago Hardware Foundry Favorite #8 1/2 chicken cooker (which I also use as a dutch oven) in a flea market in the Hocking Hills region. I just saw the same pan on ebay today with an asking price of $249---I'm watching that one.

I decided that I really preferred grandma's Wagners, so that's where I turned my attention. Between ebay, a couple of local flea markets, and an antique mall, I have added quite a few pieces to my collection. I now have a 1053, 1055, 1060, 1050 (the ashtray I use as a spoon rest), 1109 griddle, 1220 square skillet, and a Krusty Korn Kobs Junior. I went out of my date box when I bought the #8 dutch oven (no lid) with the 1915-1920 style markings, then I bought a Drip Drop lid to fit. The lettering doesn't quite match any of the styles on the "markings" page, but it has patent dates from 1917-1922 on it, if I'm reading it correctly.

A couple weeks ago I picked up a 1339 Turk's Head pan for $20 (because it was there). Last weekend I picked up an oval Sizzle Server for $10. A couple of nights ago, I stayed up later than I should so I could last-minute-bid on a big rectangular #8 griddle with the stylized logo. I was the first and only bidder at $9.99. Even with the $14 shipping I still think I got a good deal. I can't wait 'til it gets here next week!

My next target, I think, is a 1408 waffle iron. After that, who knows?

I use them all, with the exception of the last couple, but that's only because I haven't figured what to make with them yet.

Back