Huge Cauldron Old

Going to post some pictures of this one later. Just a quick description for now.

15-20 Gallons, round bottom, three legs and three posts on side. Some relief marks on the bottom it looks to be in reverse" x 02". Also two large gate marks on the bottom, possibly a sprue mark. Again, I will post pictures of it tonight.

I would love to get some help identifying it. I can't seem to find anything like it. Thanks in advance!

Items like this are usually hard to pinpoint a maker. It looks old, but to me, not super old. My guess would be on a piece this large it still made sense to bottom gate it, even though it is likely after the move to side gating on cookware. Where you say "reverse" on the lettering, does that mean it's reversed on the piece and you've flipped the image?

No, I didn't mess with the picture. I think that the relief is in reverse, meaning when it was scribed into the mold they wrote it forward, not as a mirror image. Hope that makes sense...
I pressed some styrofoam against it to make it the markings and the "2" looks more like "s"

Anyone have any suggestions on where to get a (cheep) tub big enough for this guy, I want to set up an electrolysis tank for it. Creative ideas welcome.

It's 16" high by 25" wide that's ear to ear. Looked at HD today didn't find anything less than $50 that would maybe work. I'm thinking a feed store may have something. I'm hopeing to find something free or cheep on Craigslist

There is another idea. Use the pot itself as the electro vessel. Fill it with water, add a couple handfuls of Super Washing Soda, hang a piece of sacrificial metal from a non-conductive cross-piece, hook the black (-) electrode to the rim of the pot and the red (+) to the piece of metal, and let 'er rip. It should de-rust the inside just as if it were submerged.

You could also set up a kiddie pool and lay the pot in it on its side, with the sacrificial anode across from it. Since only a half or less would be submerged, you'd have to rotate the pot and de-rust it in sections, but it would do both the inside and outside. Not as efficient, but workable.

Back