Great Great Great Grandmother's Spider Skillet Info

FrankO

While a new member, I have lurked for years.

My 92 year old mother recently gave me gatemarked "D" legged spider skillets belonging to her grandmother and great grandmother. She didn't know much about them other than her great grandmother got married circa 1860-1865 which may be approximately when she acquired the skillet which I attached images of.

She was from Louisiana. In her earlier years closer to New Orleans, in her later years closer to Shreveport.

I just removed what I believe to be the oldest from the electrolysis tank and took some pictures which I attached. The skillet has what to me are several interesting markings on, or near the handle. Any help with identification and dating is much appreciated.

Some of my questions are:

1.) What do the markings No1'29In on the handle indicate?

2.) What might the dimple on the very end of the handle ring indicate?

3.) What are the round dimples that look sort of like rivets on either side of the rib indicate?

4.) What causes the legs to erode so badly? Is it hot coals accelerating oxidation?

6.) Anything in the images, or description that might point to a manufacturer?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG1.jpg
    IMG1.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG2.jpg
    IMG2.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG3.jpg
    IMG3.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
I don’t know anything about it but I think it’s pretty cool. Not only the age and I’m guessing because it’s unique but the most because it’s been in the family so long. I have a piece or two that may not may not be worth a lot of money but since they are from at at least 3 generations back they are priceless to me. I’d never be able to sell them if I were offered thousands of dollars. Uh uh, no way. Enjoy!

Leg erosion is probably due to the leg getting wet and not being properly cared for. Once rust gets in, it's like a cancer and will eat away at the metal. As old as it is, it's probably not that uncommon to see bad legs.

Back