Smaller Skillets?

Susan_A

Re: Collecting Vs Using

How many of you folks are into the smaller skillets? If you are, do you actually use them for cooking or mainly for display? From my perspective at least, most vintage is so light that the smallest I've held onto these days is a #5, and frankly I usually don't use anything below a #6 all that much.

My #3's are used for eggs or as a press. I've seen people use them for individual desserts or serving dish for small meals.

Individual cornbread works well also.

That is a really good point about using the smaller skillets as serving dishes or for desserts. I've seen Jeff Rogers do this in a couple of his videos for serving pot roast and roasted spiral potatoes. Seems both charming and practical in order to help keep food warm, especially if you heat them up a bit first.

My mother used a #3 Wagner to make her manicotti shells. She is gone now but I use it for the same. Nothing else like it.

I find myself using smaller skillets (#5s and #3s) quite often. Especially during complex meals or for individual servings (my mother likes 3 eggs in the morning and she prefers them thick, so I use a #3). They can be good for frying up a single burger or sausage patty, or browning onions or mushrooms for steaks or burgers. I think the minimum skillet set is 1 #10, 2 #8, 1 #5, 1 #3.

I use my #3 skillets , like everyone most people, a few eggs, peppers and onion, but my favrotie is to use it for a mini/personal pizza.

No. 5 three-notch Lodge gets a lot of use in our house.

We have a couple of No. 3s that are good when you're just cooking for one person or need to saute something. Not bad for baking big cookies in either.

That No. 5, however, gets the most use.

I love my 3's. I make a big batch of corn bread. Spoon out the boys into a plastic bowl and add sugar. Preheat and cook. Spoon out the wife's. A little sugar and cracked black pepper. Then mine, sliced and diced fresh jalapeno,cracked black pepper, and a generous splash of hot sauce.
Up to six small skillets in the oven at same time. I preheat with real butter in each skillet to get a nice brown crust.
I also like to crumble mine and coat with buttermilk.:glutton:

I use my 3's all the time like everyone else, mainly for individual breakfast omlets lol and Fried Egg Sandwich's & have several but a close second is my 6's. I seen someone else post about mini pizzas and I think that would be a great idea that I will probably try this weekend :glutton:

I have 3 lodge mini skillets (LMS/01AT/ashtray) that I have used to make my version of egg muffins (don't want to use McDonald's name for it).

I don't use them for much else though. All three of them are different versions, yet the same size. 2 are ashtrays with different markings and one is the 'Honey, I Shrunk The Skillet'.

There's a local restaurant (Hometown Roots, Henderson Ky) that serves a little #3 skillet of cornbread as an appetizer to nibble on when you are first seated (usually before you place your order)... they aren't vintage skillets, but it still kind of 'sets the mood'. I think they also do a couple of desserts in little skillets as well... but I've never had room for dessert when I've eaten there.

Back