Cast Iron Collector Forums

Cast Iron Collector Forums (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/index.php)
-   New Collector's Corner (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   ID Help for You Experts (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8410)

John Ziebart 08-13-2021 01:33 PM

ID Help for You Experts

3 Attachment(s)
I've been Looking for a #8 to cook with and I Picked this up at the flea market today
Any ideas on the make or year?
* No Marking on the bottom except for what looks like a 1 and a fraction?
* Big #8 and what seems like a smallish handle,nothing fancy
* No "Made in USA" anywhere on the bottom
Sits absolutely flat on glass and has a crisp ring to it when tapped,figured you Gurus could come up with your expertise on maker and year
Thanks

John Ziebart 08-13-2021 01:42 PM

Re: ID Help for You Experts

3 Attachment(s)
More pics of handle and number 1 with something after it

John Ziebart 08-13-2021 05:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Under the magnifying glass it looks like #1 with a small upside down question mark beside it
I guess this is some kind of makers mark?
Any educated guess??

John Ziebart 08-13-2021 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Unusual looking 8, Loops not completed and resembles a large letter S

Doug D. 08-14-2021 12:31 PM

Ones like these can almost be lumped in with unmarked bottom-gated pans. Even though it appears to be early to mid-20th century in design, there were more than a few foundries we'll never be able to identify making pans in that era, most by using pans from other makers as patterns, obscuring the markings and then adding their own.

John Ziebart 08-14-2021 01:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The only thing we know for sure is that it's 1960 or earlier? (No "Made in U.S.A." on bottom) correct?
Does the strange #8 ( loops not completed) but more like a large "S" when magnified tell us anything ?

Doug D. 08-14-2021 02:23 PM

It's likely pre-1960s, but not by the lack of Made In USA. The oddly formed 8 is more likely carelessness than purposeful. Other casting voids on the bottom and the bottom of the handle also point to lax quality control standards. Typically, those unmarked pans whose makers are known can be identified by a single photo of the entire bottom of the pan including the handle, which is why that type of image is primarily requested when asking for help with identification.

John Ziebart 08-14-2021 05:55 PM

Thanks Doug I got it for everyday cooking ,so it's my beater skillet ,don't have to worry about the value on this one,your the best!

D_Madden 08-18-2021 08:14 AM

look up Birdsboro.
this pan fits with the characteristics found on known birdsboro pans... the odd font of the size on top of the handle, smooth bottom with small number at 6 oclock..

Doug D. 08-18-2021 09:04 AM

That I've seen of Birdsboro, labeled or not, have been of better casting and marking quality. I've seen an unusually-shaped numeral 5, but not an 8. The 8s also seem to have the pattern number inscribed further from the edge and with ghosts of inset heat rings. Could be the 1 was the odd-bird (no pun intended) pattern.