Unknown Pan

IMO it appears that the pan you have posted appears to be Nickel Plated and not painted silver. Most Nickel plated pieces that I have seen will loose their plating on the cooking surface first.....probably due to the subjected heat and the food being cooked in it. The rust you see is because of the plating no longer adhering to that area and the cast iron has started to rust as would be the normal cast when there is no plating/seasoning to protect it.
If it is paint a normal lye solution should remove it in most all cases but will not harm the plating if it is in fact nickel plated.
Hope this will help you in determining whether it is paint or plated.

Thanks for the info. My rationale for thinking it's painted is the striations on the inside walls appear to be brush strokes.

Any idea what the "MI" or "M1" is? It kind of looks like it was welded on (poorly).

If I were to clean it up, would I season it as normal right over the plating? or just the areas that the plating has come off?

I would first figure out if it's painted or nickel plated. If it's plated use the normal cleaning and seasoning technique as prescribed in our CIC directions. If it's painted remove all paint prior to seasoning.

The 8 also looks a bit crooked also so don't have any idea what or why the letters were added/molded into the casting. If it cleans and season's well just cook in it and enjoy the benefits of cast iron cooking. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. My rationale for thinking it's painted is the striations on the inside walls appear to be brush strokes.

Any idea what the "MI" or "M1" is? It kind of looks like it was welded on (poorly).

If I were to clean it up, would I season it as normal right over the plating? or just the areas that the plating has come off?

I think the lines in the sidewalls are probably just from the old time grinding process. I would assume the raised letters on the bottom are molder's marks... to identify who did it (so they could get paid).
if plating is intact, then you wouldn't need to season it (the nickel should be rust free).. so the presence of rust on the cooking surface would seem to indicate that the plating has worn off in places, exposing iron which has rusted a bit, so I think in that case you would just season it like bare iron to cover over any exposed iron.

I don't know what they are either, but since they are 'unmarked' you can usually buy them cheaper than other skillets... and I like the raised sizes.
https://imgur.com/a/zs5eBjC

Back