Sold some iron today

Shawn R

We have been collecting for a few months now and have started to get some stacked up. This weekend my daughter and a friend spent a couple days selling stuff at a flea market. I sent her with some items that we had bought, then found better; found to be damaged or bought crusty cheap with the idea of reselling. A Lodge DO lid, muffin pan, turks pan, a few BSR's(one cracked) and a gated piece that was also cracked. We had cleaned and seasoned them all. She did well! Sold everything but the turks pan. We had about $25 in all of it, she brought home $70. I gave her a cut and put the rest aside for future CI purchases. Keeping the hobby going!

We went to the flea market this morning, cast iron hunting. We found the guy that bought most of our stuff. He was a dealer inside. He priced every piece double what he paid.

My wife and I both enjoy hunting and collecting together. I've been suggesting picking up this or that for resale. I usually just get "the look". I think she sees what I'm thinking now.

If I can find a piece, clean it up, use it a few times, then get my money back great. If I can make a little on it, even better. If a flea market vendor wants to buy it and double his money, fine with me. Let him sit on it, he has priced them out of the local market.

We bought a couple pieces in the beginning that we really wanted, probably paid too much. We don't plan to get rid of them and the value doesn't appear to be going down.

I think a lot of us collectors go through the same thing. When I first got started I bought every piece of used cast iron that I could get my hands on. Then after restoring them all....I found that they were stacking up all over. My general rule now is to go hunting with very limited cash and not to buy anything that would not sell for a decent amount.

I have the same problem. I am getting so much CI that I have got sell some. My wife says enough is enough. Can't have any more money, must sell some to get cash to buy more.

I have the same problem. I am getting so much CI that I have got sell some. My wife says enough is enough. Can't have any more money, must sell some to get cash to buy more.

My wife buys more than I do, then picks on me for not doing my part to keep up with her.

The trick is to have a wife who collects something more rare and expensive than you do.

My wife has been on board with my collecting once she figured out that I cook a lot more delicious things now...

The trick is to have a wife who collects something more rare and expensive than you do.

I've avoided the whole problem. No Wife!!!!!! :tongue:

-------

I'm slowly running out of room for iron, but I have the same problem everyone probably has. Risking selling on ebay, or selling at a flea market where people expect to bay bottom dollar for everything. Also at the same time, alerting the very people I buy from that there's value in that old rusty iron.

I think I'll continue to just collect, find a place to store it, and worry about it when I retire and want to make some extra cash.

Back