Cast Iron Collector Forums

Cast Iron Collector Forums (
-   General Cast Iron (
-   -   Gatemarked Shallow Skillet ID Assistance (

RCorbett 02-03-2021 05:34 PM

Gatemarked Shallow Skillet ID Assistance
3 Attachment(s)
First, is it "gatemarked" or "gate marked"? This shallow skillet has been in the family for generations and passed down to me from my father, but I haven't been able to identify its maker. It is marked with an 8 on the handle and a 2 on the bottom. Any assistance is appreciated.

SeanD 02-04-2021 08:04 AM

Re: Gatemarked Shallow Skillet ID Assistance
welcome to the Forums....this is just my personal thought....I call it Gate not really sure if it even matters....all I can say is your skillet is OLD, like 1800s probably.

Doug D. 03-01-2021 05:01 PM

Re: Gatemarked Shallow Skillet ID Assistance
Without a name (or even sometimes initials, e.g. "P.B. & Co.") on them, old bottom gated pieces like this are rarely if ever identifiable as to maker. Handle designs were more representative of current styles of their time rather than trademarks of a particular manufacturer, much like the handles of most early to mid-20th century skillets being more or less alike.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.