Cast Iron Collector Forums

Cast Iron Collector Forums (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Cast Iron (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Day Trip Birthday Picking (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7219)

MDFraley 03-28-2019 08:31 AM

Day Trip Birthday Picking
 
We did a day trip Tuesday and came back with a few treasures. Most have made it to the Lye and hopefully will be ready to clean in a few days. Lids were on nonmatching pans but we were able to negotiate reasonable prices. Magnalite pieces are in good shape and will require minimal cleaning and polishing.
https://imgur.com/7BoPMxu

D_Madden 03-28-2019 09:29 AM

Re: Day Trip Birthday Picking
 
I see what looks like an iron mountain do lid... but that's about the only thing I can make out.... what else did you get?

(I know this is the cast iron collector site... but I love a nice magnalite roaster all shined up and gleaming.)

Doug D. 03-28-2019 09:52 AM

Re: Day Trip Birthday Picking
 
What are those green things? Pyrex? Do people actually collect that stuff? :icon_rofl: ;)

Re: Magnalite. http://www.castironcollector.com/castaluminum.php

Bonnie Scott 03-28-2019 11:49 AM

Re: Day Trip Birthday Picking
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug D. (Post 44256)
What are those green things? Pyrex? Do people actually collect that stuff? :icon_rofl: ;)

We found two true opal Pyrex bowls in Cottonwood a couple weeks ago for $4 each. Now my set only lacks one bowl. I'm thankful for the lids I have been hoarding because the Green daisy's pictured didn't come with lids but the condition was too good to pass up.

Jeffrey R. 03-28-2019 03:01 PM

Re: Day Trip Birthday Picking
 
Nice haul, nice to see the WI Queen still going strong. Is the plane marked Stanley or Bailey? The rusted skillet with the flat handle, is there a # on the handle? I have the #7 & 11 :icon_thumbsup:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0rru...sipEP5trcTNbGQ

MDFraley 03-28-2019 03:33 PM

Re: Day Trip Birthday Picking
 
Must be some sort of changes in Imgur that I can't figure out. Tried to reply to DMadden's question and add a couple new pics and lost everything. There was a #8 small logo Griswold, a #8 Wagner Ware, a #7 DO raised logo lid, a WW waffle iron w/ low base, a high WI base that had a wear-ever set of aluminum paddles (which I have no interest in) but the base is CI and goes w/ Griswold waffle irons. I'm attaching one pic of the teardrop type handle #8 skillet that has a heat ring (inset) with a single notch at 12 o'clock (pictured on the right) next to a #10 similar skillet we found about a year ago (same markings but no notches) that I have no idea the maker. Bot are well made and smooth cooking surfaces. Any ideas would be appreciated. The old plane is a Stanley "Bailey" #5C with three patent dates made around 1918. My second hobby is restoring those old things and try to get them back in the work force. Never know who may need one living "off the grid" lol...plus it's cordless lol.
May try to come back and edit this post and add the second pic of the bottoms of the two pans in reference since the imgur won't allow album loading.
https://imgur.com/DyU47E6
Here's the bottom pics of those pans.
https://imgur.com/XUN4KoO

Bonnie Scott 03-28-2019 03:46 PM

Re: Day Trip Birthday Picking
 
Hi Jeffrey, it's good to talk to you, it been a while. I really like these unidentified skillets with the pointy handles. The cooking surfaces are really smooth. We have been finding a few high bases for griswolds lately which is good because we had some paddles with no bases. I thought about you when we came across one of the old gooseneck iron teapots. Are you still collecting the old ones?

Jeffrey R. 03-28-2019 05:10 PM

Re: Day Trip Birthday Picking
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MDFraley (Post 44261)
The old plane is a Stanley "Bailey" #5C with three patent dates made around 1918. My second hobby is restoring those old things and try to get them back in the work force. Never know who may need one living "off the grid" lol...plus it's cordless lol.

Bailey #5C, Very Nice. I have had quite a few Stanley planes over the years and restored them all and sent them to new homes. I still have the first one I purchased for my tool box years ago. It never sees any use anymore. :icon_thumbsup:

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------[/SIZE]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnie Scott (Post 44262)
Hi Jeffrey, it's good to talk to you, it been a while. I really like these unidentified skillets with the pointy handles. The cooking surfaces are really smooth. We have been finding a few high bases for griswolds lately which is good because we had some paddles with no bases. I thought about you when we came across one of the old gooseneck iron teapots. Are you still collecting the old ones?

I had a Griswold WI set without a base for a long time, but have since found one if it makes it here in one piece.

Are you still collecting the old ones? Yes, but finding new homes for them but not my Maine iron, staying with me.

Same back to you, life goes on. I have stopped adding to my Griswold collection, but never stopped my gate marked collection.

First choice for a skillet for myself so thin and light so I can have a larger piece of my grass feed beef. The real good stuff.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0XBb...XuOBfEbhi9WUuQ

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0Uvz...7J1b4nMdOsJQ2w

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0HWu...Y6vsnVBN-E5oLw

Bonnie Scott 03-28-2019 05:38 PM

Re: Day Trip Birthday Picking
 
Jeffrey, those steaks look good enough to eat. I notice you have my Spring Blossom green Pyrex pattern on your plate. That's the pattern on my user Pyrex. I like the fancy handles on your Maine skillet. We don't see many of the Fancy handles like you come across. I found 2 finger hinge Griswold waffle irons with the matching bases recently. I was pretty excited about that score.

Jeffrey R. 03-28-2019 06:54 PM

Re: Day Trip Birthday Picking
 
Bonnie, the steaks tasted better than they look. Break off the horns flip once.:eek:

I do cook a lot of VT grass fed organic wagyu beef in my skillets. I find that the skillet gives just the right sear. Don't get me wrong they are good on the grill, but they are not the same.

"Spring Blossom green Pyrex pattern on your plate." The wife was kind enough to let me borrow it, All hers.

All my Maine skillets are wall art, never use them. I do like my wall art. I need a larger home.

I am not sure why, but I am getting back into early WI. I have never had a 2 finger hinge Griswold, yet. I do like to go for the odd items.

D_Madden 04-01-2019 12:05 PM

Re: Day Trip Birthday Picking
 
I like the 'pointy handle' pans... but no idea on maker... I've seen a similar #8... but I think it had like a 'v' under the 8... but most of the same other characteristics. that 10 is a beauty.

Jeffrey R. 04-03-2019 09:03 AM

Re: Day Trip Birthday Picking
 
MDFarley, Alter you have cleaned that flat handled rusty skillet would you mind putting up a photo of both sides. Looking at yours I see two pour spouts on my #11 it has only one on the right side. The other one I have is a #8, not #7 as stated earlier and has two pour spouts and 3 very small legs / pads. I am thinking the legs / pads were to center the skillet in the eye opening to keep it from moving.

What is it with this dam spell check changing my words, grass fed to grass feed??

Bonnie Scott 04-03-2019 10:34 AM

Re: Day Trip Birthday Picking
 
Jeffrey R it's not a "two finger hinge" WI. I found two "finger hinge" waffle irons. I don't know if we ever determined which Griswold waffle iron came first. I assume it was the button hinge, the finger hinge is something I don't see very often. I got two of the finger hinge paddles at an auction but was missing one base. A couple of weeks later we found a Griswold American sitting on a finger hinge base. :-D I am still hunting the elusive Seldon & Griswold WI.

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 08:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 AM ----------[/SIZE]

I also found a really old Sidney, Ohio waffle iron with the long handle on ebay cheap. It was advertised as an antique waffle iron made in "Randy, Ohio". :chuckle:

MDFraley 04-03-2019 03:03 PM

Re: Day Trip Birthday Picking
 
Jeffry. Imgur is still messing with me and I thought I had copied both pics of the pan. Anyway...Here's one pic of the pan so I guess I will load it and come back and edit this post and add the other one. It really cleaned up nice and I noticed a single notch at the 12 o'clock position. Has all the aspects of a lodge except the handle just isn't correct.
https://imgur.com/ixPAYwd
https://imgur.com/vQ7zzQv

Doug D. 04-03-2019 03:22 PM

Re: Day Trip Birthday Picking
 
Incised numeral on top of handle also not Lodge.

Jeffrey R. 04-03-2019 03:29 PM

Re: Day Trip Birthday Picking
 
WOW! Do I need my glasses... Totally different skillet. Sorry to take your time.

If the skillet that you just put up was the rusty one from your first post, it came out nice. :icon_thumbsup:

The photo I put on post #5 does not show the full handle of my skillet that I thought looked like your rusty one, my bad. I am always looking for a mate to these early skillets.

Bonnie Scott 04-03-2019 03:31 PM

Re: Day Trip Birthday Picking
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey R. (Post 44351)
WOW! Do I need my glasses... Totally different skillet. Sorry to take your time.

If the skillet that you just put up was the rusty one from your first post, it came out nice. :icon_thumbsup:

It's a keeper.

The only difference I see between this #8 and the matching #10 we have is that this one has the single notch. Both of them are good quality skillets.

Jeffrey R. 04-03-2019 05:49 PM

Re: Day Trip Birthday Picking
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnie Scott (Post 44343)
Jeffrey R it's not a "two finger hinge" WI. I found two "finger hinge" waffle irons. I don't know if we ever determined which Griswold waffle iron came first. I assume it was the button hinge, the finger hinge is something I don't see very often. I got two of the finger hinge paddles at an auction but was missing one base. A couple of weeks later we found a Griswold American sitting on a finger hinge base. :-D I am still hunting the elusive Seldon & Griswold WI.

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 08:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 AM ----------[/SIZE]

I also found a really old Sidney, Ohio waffle iron with the long handle on ebay cheap. It was advertised as an antique waffle iron made in "Randy, Ohio". :chuckle:


I was thinking that you were calling the Button Hinge a two finger hinge as they have two tabs off the iron.:icon_rofl:

"Randy, Ohio" you find things like this all the time on the net.

This is the last one I named. Krumbkaka Iron = Krumbkake Iron, also no mention of Griswold or Alfred Andersen.:eek:

Bonnie Scott 04-03-2019 06:19 PM

Re: Day Trip Birthday Picking
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey R. (Post 44354)
This is the last one I named. Krumbkaka Iron = Krumbkake Iron, also no mention of Griswold or Alfred Andersen.:eek:

I just found my second Alfred Andresen Krumkake iron. I want to give one to my daughter since her great grandmothers maiden name was Andresen. Same spelling. Norwegian.

I made some ice cream cones with it years ago. Probably around the last time I talked to you. :glutton:

https://imgur.com/a/5ePJM

Jeffrey R. 04-03-2019 06:37 PM

Re: Day Trip Birthday Picking
 
This is the last one I FOUND, Krumbkaka Iron = Krumbkake Iron

It took a hit.

Krumbkaka Iron = Krumbkake Iron


Wow those look good. Not sure if I should keep mine of sell??


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.