Cast Iron Collector Forums

Cast Iron Collector Forums (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/index.php)
-   Show & Tell (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   National #8 Restoration and disappointment... (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1260)

Chris H 09-21-2014 06:18 PM

National #8 Restoration and disappointment...

Here's some before and after shots of a National #8 with a star that I restored with electrolysis. Couldn't see the star before cleaning. Sadly, after removing all of the old crud and seasoning, I discovered a crack in the edge of the skillet across from the handle. It was not visible at all prior to cleaning :(

http://imgur.com/a/210CN

BruceD 09-21-2014 06:34 PM

Re: National #8 Restoration and disappointment...

Man, that is too bad, cool skillet.

RickC 09-22-2014 01:55 AM

When out hunting, always bring a small, bright flashlight. If it's crudded up enough that you can't tell if it's cracked or not, use that in your negotiating.
  • $35.....
  • I just can't tell if it's cracked or not with all this crud, how about $20?
  • $30
  • It's going to take a lot of work to get this cleaned up.
  • Ok $20

RandyR 09-22-2014 09:05 AM

I too know you pain Chris. I have a feeling, being new to this, most of us cast iron hunters feel this pain at some time.

You know, I'm going to start bringing one of my super bright flashlights when hunting, good advice Rick.

Ken Davis 09-22-2014 10:34 AM

Is it true that a cracked piece will not "ring" like an un-cracked piece does?

From my experience, admittedly somewhat limited, cracked pieces sound dull while intact pieces clearly ring.

Anyone experience otherwise?

RickC 09-22-2014 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Davis (Post 5656)
Is it true that a cracked piece will not "ring" like an un-cracked piece does?

Well, I've had pieces with cracks that when struck you could hear a vibration where the two sides of the crack vibrated against each other. I've also seen ones with nice long cracks that sounded fine. If the crack is filled in with hardened seasoning, it's almost like it's whole again, and will probably "ring" like normal.

If a pan is so caked with burnt food/seasoning that you can't tell visually if it's cracked, then trying the "ring" test will be dulled/muffled by the crud anyway.

It's not a test that I would use to determine if something is cracked or not.

RandyR 09-22-2014 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickC (Post 5662)

It's not a test that I would use to determine if something is cracked or not.

With the limited knowledge I've gained, I'd agree.

My #7 with a crack(cleaned) rings just like my uncracked #8(cleaned), both from the same mfg.

Ken Davis 09-22-2014 04:34 PM

Thanks, guys.

KellyF 09-22-2014 10:32 PM

I just looked at your pictures, you did a nice job of cleaning that pan out.

I have a question, could a person still use a pan with that kind of crack for something like eggs, bacon, or other things that do not rise too far up the sides?

KELLY

Chris H 09-22-2014 10:52 PM

Some people do. I'm sure there are plenty of cracked pans being used every day without people realizing. This crack was completely buried under the seasoning, obviously this skillet had been used quite a bit in this condition.

On the other hand, I've read plenty of stories of exploding skillets and handles breaking off, spilling hot oil everywhere. I guess it's a chance you've got to be willing to take.

These small cracks on the upper part of the lip are probably the least worrisome compared to cracks lower down on the cooking surface.

Cast iron is plentiful, I don't really think it's worth the risk when you can easily get another skillet for cheap.