CI Displayed In Your Kitchen? Got a Pic?

Chuck P

I kind of want to display some nice pieces in my kitchen but I also want to be able to grab them and use them. Please be honest. Does this look tacky?

Would any of you care to share a picture? Maybe give me some ideas?

Wow. Worlds largest pic. Kinda hard to tell how it looks.

EDIT: I see the pic is scaled down now.

I wonder if you're going to crack the heck outta your tile. I'm also looking to hang my pans in a pantry, but am also looking at installing a panel on the drywall they can hang against and bang. Drywall will perish after a while.

So Hi, new(ish) member. Been reading here for a while trying to get caught up on everything. Been cooking in CI for years, but only started "collecting" in the last 8 months or so. But I like my pans:

q1szEt5l.jpg

I'd like it a lot more if my Gris LBL #9 in the center there wasn't cracked right through the center (still looks good there, though, doesn't it?)

And before anyone asks, no I've never cooked in there. My house was built in the early 60s and I don't think it has ever been used by any of the owners of it. It does have a chimney so it would probably work, but open fire in my kitchen sort of scares me :)

Not tacky, but a little bit much. Maybe one or two and if anyone shows an interest pull the rest out of the cupboard.

I got hooked on the Descoware and Le Creuset ceramic coated CI pot tops/skillets as the perfect egg skillets. Under here the half shelf has more CI.

Easy to reach & show next to the stove.

Hilditch

Chris- Looks awesome! Do the skillets get scraped?

Hilditch- Looks awesome also! Do your walls / wallpaper have any marks from pans over time?

That's my thing- I'd like to hang on a wall but I have drywall.

Never had a problem with the pans on the wall getting messed up (or the wall getting messed up but it is brick so ...)

I am a bit careful putting the up and taking them down but it's not a problem.

Ted, no issue here. There is a slight smudge from the aebleskiver pan but that would wash off with a drop of Clorox cleaner. We play gentle but at the worst you could touch up with a Q-tip and some wall paint. Remember, the piece will normally hide any mark left on the paint.

Hilditch

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

Chris, Not cooking in that fireplace is like filling a Griswold with dirt and planting petunias in it. Shame on those that went before you.

We would have liked to hang our pans from some type of rack. I didn't want to mess up the textured wall/ceiling covering. So we decided to use a hutch to display and store. Then I made a skillet stand out of some scrap wood I had, still need to finish it.
cast%20iron%20037.jpg
[/URL][/URL]
"]

I think all these look fantastic. I am going to build some sort of rack to display mine soon, but am limited in space. Maybe a rack near the stove for the ones I use, and display some collector pieces on the wall.

My kitchen is very small (apartment) so I store my iron in the closet right off of the kitchen. And also on smaller shelves in the hall.. And some other places... :redface: The big shelves will hold 300lbs per shelf, the smaller shelves, Not sure.

Attachments

• Closet.jpg
    Closet.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 180
  • Hall.jpg
    Hall.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 177
Hi, folks. No, I don't have any pictures available yet--hubby does that, and I have not yet gotten him to try it here! I used to live in a house with TRULY funky walls, but if you found a stud, cast iron could be hung easily. Am now in a newer house with regular dry wall. Can anybody suggest something that will hold weight without tearing it up?

Here are my racks in my kitchen. I am really impressed with how much those things can hold. Bought off of Amazon at about $50.00 ea, come with lag bolts and the bracing to the wall comes with 16" OC so you can screw directly into wall studs.

That's the way I would have liked to display our pans. But not with newer house with metal wall studs. Our next house will have real walls like you DAustin.

In my under counter pic above , note that skillets are stacked. I do not oil these well seasoned skillets after use as they don't need it and I do not treat them roughly, but with respect. No paper in between skillets and I have never noticed any detrimental chipping, rust or other effects from stacking well seasoned skillets.

I put my go to skillets on the top, and my Dutch oven even sits on top of a #3 sitting in a #5 skillet on the upper shelf. No wear or tear on the smaller pieces that I can tell.

A well seasoned piece of CI is tough.

Hildith

Hi, folks. No, I don't have any pictures available yet--hubby does that, and I have not yet gotten him to try it here! I used to live in a house with TRULY funky walls, but if you found a stud, cast iron could be hung easily. Am now in a newer house with regular dry wall. Can anybody suggest something that will hold weight without tearing it up?

I'd look into a French Cleat type system. It is basically a system of complementary angles (45-45, 30-60, etc.) where one piece is screwed into a stud(s) and the other is part of the shelf.

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

We would have liked to hang our pans from some type of rack. I didn't want to mess up the textured wall/ceiling covering. So we decided to use a hutch to display and store. Then I made a skillet stand out of some scrap wood I had, still need to finish it.
Image Image Image

Do you have dimensions on the shelf? Looks like a great way to store and display.

KFSchmidt, the cabinet is 71" tall, 38" wide. The top shelf is 11" deep and the bottom is 17" deep. My wife wants me to remove the glass from the doors and replace it with wire fence to make it look a bit more rustic. Also so the glass doesn't get broke if something falls over.

Shawn- Super display and such nice pieces! That mini-bundt cake pan you have on the countertop of your cabinet- is that cast iron? Non-stick coated?

Really nice display!

KFSchmidt- Great idea on the French Cleat. That's really helpful. Thanks!

Back