Lodge skillet to benefit forest fire victims

SpurgeonH

I saw a post on Twitter about a commerative skillet Lodge has made and that $15 from the sale of each skillet will go to the folks impacted bythe forest fires around Gatlinburg, TN.

Unfortunately, the skillet is already listed as "Sold Out". Wish I had seen that post sooner! (Maybe I need to check my Twitter account more than once a week. Ha!)

The skillet is the Great Smokey Mountain skillet.i don't collect their commerative skillets, but I would have loved to have had that one.

http://bit.ly/GSMskillet

I tweeted Lodge yesterday and asked if they were making more ... here is their reply:

@LodgeCastIron: @OTD_Colonel Thx for your interest! Skillets will be available at 8 AM CT 12/14 here: https://t.co/SgtU3Xtyxq

I'll be ordering one tomorrow!

Dagnabit!! I was traveling with my boss today and just now had a chance to log on. They are already sold out again. Ugh.

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

EDIT:: I got one!! (Learn from my old man mistake. When I clicked the link again it took me to a "sold out" page. I'm guessing it was due to the cookies from the last time I clicked it? Anyway, I closed the browser and a minutes later, I went back to look at the skillet ... and this time it didn't say "sold out"!)

EDIT #2: "The skillets are available again on our website! We had a temporary issue. Click here to purchase: bit.ly/GSMskilletS " (so it wasn't my lack of computer skills after all. Ha!)

Last edited:
Glad you all have had a chance to buy the special Lodge skillet. It is a nice design, and certainly a philanthropic action on the part of the Lodge company. A good way to add to a collection and help out at the same time.

We did our "family" Christmas just before dinner so now my wife now knows she helped contribute to the Smoky Mountains forest fire victims. After acting surprised at the wonderful gift I recieved, I decided to put the Lodge factory seasoning to the test and reheated some chili in it. We're talking about some very red, spicy, meaty, heartburn inducing, strip the paint off the walls chili here. Something I normally wouldn't dare do to a piece of CI that wasn't already really well seasoned. The factory seasoning wasn't even fazed by it. After a very brief scrubbing with a nylon brush the skillet looks like it was never used. I'm no fan of the cat's tongue texture of a new Lodge, but that chili would have left patches of bare iron on my vintage iron had I done that right after initial seasoning. Tomorrow I'll be going easy on it. Bacon and pancakes.

Ty, the rough finish on the new Lodge's certainly isn't as pleasing to the eye as the smooth finish, but it gets the job done. I have a #5 I bought in the reject section of their factory store. (Never have figured out what is wrong with it and why it was considered a factory second). That little pan will fry an egg as well as any of the old pans. The eggs don't float around like they do in my #3 of unknown origin (the one with the advanced hover technology built in) but the eggs never stick.

At the Lodge factory store, they said they went to the rough surface because it was easier to season it in their automated process. (I'm sure it also cheaper)

I have been using a 12 lodge for a couple of years now and it has smoothed out quit a bit with use. It still has some texture to it but nothing like it had when it was new.

My Great Smoky Mountain Skillet arrived today! Woohoo! What a beauty!

18XVZkk.jpg

Apparently, it tried to escape from the postman. (Not the greatest packing job ... just a skillet in a box ... no bubble wrap, or even paper around it.) There is a small spot on the end of the handle where the seasoning chipped off. I figure I'll put some Crisco on it and put it in the oven for an hour and it will be fine.

TpfW5C4.jpg

QXccZIV.jpg

Wow that's sure is a great looking skillet. I think I'd make it a permanent wall hanger, but then I'd have to get the wildlife series's and a few other of that type.

Well there goes my, I'm just a user stance

Steve, my just a user stance went when I needed another color egg pan. Now those various cast iron things are multiplying all by themselves! Users beware.

Hilditch

Sorry my phone wanted to make a double post.

Since I had to edit out my extra post, I will add. I kinda know what you mean Hilditch I always seem to see something here I think I need.

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

Sorry for double post. Was able too correct it.

Back