Cast Iron Collector Forums

Cast Iron Collector Forums (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   BSR #8 Made It Through Electrolysis (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5068)

Nick_N 03-03-2017 07:34 PM

BSR #8 Made It Through Electrolysis
 
3 Attachment(s)
Well, after much worry and concern, my BSR #8 survived my first attempt at electrolysis. Voila !

Attachment 4455 Attachment 4456 Attachment 4457

KevinE 03-03-2017 08:53 PM

Re: BSR #8 Made It Through Electrolysis
 
Looks like you did a fine job to me. :icon_thumbsup:

KevM 03-03-2017 09:04 PM

Re: BSR #8 Made It Through Electrolysis
 
good job. electrolysis sounds complicated but once you do it a few times it will become second nature.

Nick_N 03-03-2017 09:09 PM

Re: BSR #8 Made It Through Electrolysis
 
1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys.....it wasn't that difficult, after all, much to my pleasure ! :-D

Attachment 4462

EdP 03-04-2017 02:35 PM

Re: BSR #8 Made It Through Electrolysis
 
Great job NickN. I have a BSR #8 too! One of my late grandmothers gave it to me 35+ years ago, They are thick and heavy compared to some other brands. I recently acquired a #9 Martin and it is thick and heavy like a BSR. BSR is a underrated brand by collectors, in my opinion.

A pic of my #8 BSR > https://goo.gl/photos/45eC13zbSogdL9iz7

Nick_N 03-04-2017 06:42 PM

Re: BSR #8 Made It Through Electrolysis
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdP (Post 33096)
Great job NickN. I have a BSR #8 too! One of my late grandmothers gave it to me 35+ years ago, They are thick and heavy compared to some other brands. I recently acquired a #9 Martin and it is thick and heavy like a BSR. BSR is a underrated brand by collectors, in my opinion.

A pic of my #8 BSR > https://goo.gl/photos/45eC13zbSogdL9iz7

Hey, great looking skillet there, Ed. Mine is in the oven right now, as I type, with a load of roasting veggies. It belonged to my Mom, and was probably purchased back in the very late 40's, or more likely, the 50's. I'm really glad I took the time to completely restore it. It was really gunked up, but the electrolysis has brought it back to life. :-D

EricC 03-04-2017 08:08 PM

Re: BSR #8 Made It Through Electrolysis
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick_N (Post 33102)
Hey, great looking skillet there, Ed. Mine is in the oven right now, as I type, with a load of roasting veggies. It belonged to my Mom, and was probably purchased back in the very late 40's, or more likely, the 50's. I'm really glad I took the time to completely restore it. It was really gunked up, but the electrolysis has brought it back to life. :-D

My understanding of the markings on that one date its manufacture as being in the mid '60s.

EdP 03-04-2017 09:28 PM

BSR #8 Made It Through Electrolysis
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick_N (Post 33102)
Hey, great looking skillet there, Ed. Mine is in the oven right now, as I type, with a load of roasting veggies. It belonged to my Mom, and was probably purchased back in the very late 40's, or more likely, the 50's. I'm really glad I took the time to completely restore it. It was really gunked up, but the electrolysis has brought it back to life. :-D



Thanks. I use my BSR on steaks mostly. I'm thinking about building an etank. I use the lye tank. Anyway, enjoy!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick_N 03-05-2017 02:36 PM

Re: BSR #8 Made It Through Electrolysis
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EricC (Post 33109)
My understanding of the markings on that one date its manufacture as being in the mid '60s.

Hey Eric, Thanks for the reminder. You are indeed correct on that being from the '60's. I had another another skillet in mind, when I made that comment. Thanks for keeping us straight !


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.