Odd Griswold

KNelson

Saw this Griswold at a flea market yesterday. Thought it might be aluminum but it’s heavy as the dickens so maybe nickel plated iron. The strange part that didn’t get in the picture was it had what looked like glass or ceramic handle with eye on the end for hanging. Maybe wood handle broke and was replaced? Was wood used on any other skillets other than aluminum?
CE5BCC64-9EBF-46FF-B906-901113F7208F.jpeg

Griswold made wood handled iron skillets in sizes 2 thru 12. You don't see terribly many of them these days; more often (and still infrequently) those seen with wood handles are aluminum (wood handled by necessity). Typically, Griswold pattern numbers for their aluminum pieces are prefixed with an A, but not always. Griswold started plating in nickel, but moved to chromium and in a few different variations, DuChro ("dull chrome"), full polish Chromium, and something in-between. Being that all the surfaces of this one (other than the bottom) could be and appear to be mirror polished, this one was likely sold as Chromium finish. The handle could be Bakelite, but would have to see it to determine if I thought it was original or not.

That’s probably what it was being I couldn’t really identify the material. They had a tag of $125 on it but I wasn’t ready to jump at that price not knowing.

If the handle was original, and there were no other material flaws (plating on cooking surfaces is nearly always worn) that may not have been a bad price.

Back