E-Tank set up questions

SJLuzum

I have a rusty pot hanging in the e-tank as I type. I’m not getting a lot of “fizzing”. If I stare hard enough I can see some. Not nearly as much as I thought I’d see. I’ve had it in there for 24 hours straight

I have a couple of questions.
I’m suspending it from a wire clothes hanger. Is there a better conductor I should be using?

Is there such a thing as too much washing soda? Is more better/faster?

I am using a 55 gallon plastic drum. I have 6 sacrificial rebars. They are connected on the outside with braided speaker wire. Should I be using copper wire instead?

Do I have too many connections?

I am using a battery charger on 12amps. Is that enough? Too much?

I thought I would see better results.

Thanks for your input.

Too much washing soda can cause things to "run hot". The problem is probably not in the anode wiring but a poor connection at the cathode. Scrape any paint off the hanger wire and whatever crud where it touches on the hanging point of the pan (not in a damaging way, of course). 12V/12A DC is OK, although 2A, 6A or 10A work fine. Probably wouldn't hurt to wire brush your rebar and charger clamps where they touch to maintain the best connection throughout the circuit.

I would do away with the copper wire and use steel or better yet SS wire. Also do not be afraid to put your clamp right on your piece that you are trying to clean, less chance of a poor connection as Doug D. stated.

I would do away with the copper wire and use steel or better yet SS wire. Also do not be afraid to put your clamp right on your piece that you are trying to clean, less chance of a poor connection as Doug D. stated.
Where would I get SS wire? Not aluminum, right?

Look for "safety wire" it is usually 304 stainless. It is commonly used for locking nuts on bolts for aircraft applications.

Where would I get SS wire? Not aluminum, right?
Do a google search stainless steel wire. I picked up some partly used rolls of different metal wire at estate sales over the years. The thing I find that works best is put the clamp right on the piece, sometimes I will use more than one clamp. Move the clamp to an area that has been cleaned after a little time, remember line of sight. As for hanging your piece to be cleaned into your e-Tank you can use some twine / string or coated copper wire, steel wire. Just keep the copper ends out of the mix. When I clean old chain I wrap SS wire around to make a better connection for all the chain links, and I also use a number of clamps on the chain. I have cleaned 10' on hand forged logging chain that is hanging in my shop. I also have cleaned early milk can lifting chain that was shipped over seas and is in a collection of a dairy milk can collector and author of a book on the subject. A few things that I sold him went into his book.

Back