seasoning

1. A

1st seasoning at 350 degrees?

Hi. I read the article sent to me on Initial Seasoning. I just want to verify. Is only the 1st seasoning done this way, applying the oil on a 350 deg pan? All the research I've seen and read says to heat the pan to 200 deg for 10 or so minutes, then apply the seasoning oil, wipe it off, then...
  2. A

Polymerization at what temp?

I like using grapeseed oil to season my cast iron. The smoke point for grapeseed oil is 420 deg F. I was reading an article on the Field site and they suggest 400 deg for one hour. That confuses me. Shouldn't the oven temp exceed the smoke point? I also read that polymerization will occur at...
  3. R

Touch up seasoning

I have a skillet that seems to have a few spots where the seasoning is thin, or scrubbed away. Does it need to be completely stripped, and re-seasoned; or can it have a touch up seasoning?
  4. D

Greetings from Canada

I hail from Ontario, Canada. I first got cast iron as I figured it would be more durable for camping, as cast iron always survived my Dad's cooking. Non stick pans do not fare well on my camp stove. Naturally I ended up using it at home as my goto fry pan. From there, I've accumulated three...
  5. A

What's a good price for a #7 BSR Red Mt skillet?

Hi I'm new to CI "collecting" and am just really happy to be cooking with a little, but heavy, piece of history. I just bought my first vintage skillet and after reading more about it, am worried I overpaid for it. Is $23 a high price for a #7 L red mountain skillet? It's in good condition but...
Back