Lodge Sportsmans Grill

BarryL

I just got a new Lodge Sportsmans grill and tried it out yesterday. It worked great for 2 people and would most likely be enough for 3 to 4 people.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to make sure I get many years of service out of it. Should I season the grates and other parts every time after I use it to prevent rust?

I'm looking at getting one also since I have 2 shallow fish fryers, BS&R. This would be very helpful to know.

I've been eyeballing one of those grills also... Their cast iron so, take care of it as you would your cookware.... Give it a good wipe down after use and they should last a very long time if cared for. Enjoy !

I've been eyeballing one of those grills also... Their cast iron so, take care of it as you would your cookware.... Give it a good wipe down after use and they should last a very long time if cared for. Enjoy !
Just the cooking surface or the entire outside everytime? Considering it gets extremely hot, won't it burn off the seasoning?

I have one of these grills. I really dont season mine anywhere, cause I think the outside will be fine ( maybe clean it once a year ). and the cooking surface of mine at least is usually fine. I cook a lot of burgers, and steaks, and the grease from those season it enuff for me. I clean the grates with a BBQ cleaning brush, and its good to go.

I'm restoring an old BSR 4-legged version and was wondering about seasoning vs high-temp paint for the 'fire bowl' and base... any thoughts?

I like mine, but after I use it in my covered patio area I let it spend the night out there. The next day I clean out the fire bowl and brush it out with a hand held brush like brick masons use. I also brush off the lower grate. Then I clean the upper grate with a wire wheel and cordless drill. Once in a while I clean the upper grate in the sink. Yes grease does come out of meats but along with the meat grease comes salt that drips off the meat as well. The salt along with high humidity down east N.C., you can hear the rust growing! I store mine in my enclosed sunroom!

I copied and pasted these instructions from Lodge’s website. They also have assembly and user instructions.
Cleaning
Let all parts cool before handling
After each use, wash cooking grate with hot water and a nylon brush or scrubber (not metal)
Mild soap can be used occasionally if desired
Dry promptly, and rub or spray with a thin layer of cooking oil.
For especially sticky messes, a plastic scraper can be used
For the remaining parts, always dump out any residual coals and ashes
These parts should be rinsed, dried and oiled every 3-4 uses at minimum
Rust? Don’t panic. Clean and re-season following the instructions on this site.

Storage
Always store in a dry place, preferably indoors
If kept outdoors, cover with Lodge A1-410 grill cover or other suitable cover

Funny story to share.

I have one, My 5 year old son calls it the disgusting grill. We couldn't figure out if it was just because the outside was a little rusty, or if it is because of the ashes that get left behind after we used it. We leave it on the garage floor between the two doors while it is cooling then the next day we clean it after it has cooled. One day we were in the garage and I didn't have a chance to pick it up and put it on the shelf yet when he pointed at it and said see look dad disgusting. The dog was licking the cooking grate of it. Now it gets put on top of the deep freezer to cool off. we had been using it for about 6 months not knowing why he was calling it that before we learned why.

Funny story to share.

I have one, My 5 year old son calls it the disgusting grill. We couldn't figure out if it was just because the outside was a little rusty, or if it is because of the ashes that get left behind after we used it. We leave it on the garage floor between the two doors while it is cooling then the next day we clean it after it has cooled. One day we were in the garage and I didn't have a chance to pick it up and put it on the shelf yet when he pointed at it and said see look dad disgusting. The dog was licking the cooking grate of it. Now it gets put on top of the deep freezer to cool off. we had been using it for about 6 months not knowing why he was calling it that before we learned why.
Cute! Kids are so funny at that age. You had extra seasoning on your food and didn't know it.

You should have looked at your dogs tongue and seen the grill marks lol.

not sure... lodge changed the style of the bail attachment at some point... now it looks more like dutch oven bail attachment, whereas, the the old style was just the two nubs that stick out.

Thanks for the info guys, sorry I was so late about getting back. I do wonder why an instruction sheet wasn't included with the grill it had plenty of room in the box for one.

I do like my little grill, I need to get it out again today.

The best price that I've found for those is $89 if you order online from Walmart. I got free shipping and picked up at the store the next day.

Back