Lady Bess - BSR

Maggy S

Hi, I have a Lady Bess cast iron dutch oven #8 with no lid and, was wondering if anyone can tell me if in fact that particular piece actually had its own dedicated lid with the similar markings as with the other Lady Bess iron. Or if they just used the same lid that they used for their other dutch ovens. I've never seen another one anywhere! I can't even find a picture of one at all.

I have seen some pictures of the cassarole dish, which i also have but, none of those had a lid either and was wondering if that came with a lid?

Any info would be very helpful. Thx!

Maggy S

Lady Bess sizes differed from the Red Mountain and Century series. They were designed to fit readily available aftermarket glass lids.

Read the Lady Bess section a little over halfway down on this web site:
http://www.modemac.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/Birmingham_Stove_and_Range

Jack

---------- Post added at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 AM ----------

Maggy S
Can you post pictures, top, bottom and bail attachment points of that Lady Bess DO. This is the first time I've heard of a DO in this line.

Jack

No bail. They have the wide, flat loop handles like modern Lodge. In fact, both the pieces that make up the Lodge L8DD3 appear to have their origins in the patterns acquired from BSR .

Thank you for your responses. There is no bail on the DO it is similar to the casserole dish with the finger tabs. I will try to upload some pictures. So what your saying is that there is no cast iron lid dedicated to the lady Bess DO? Because a regular #8 cast iron lid fits it perfectly. Thx!

Back