She's Electolysi-si-si-sizing Away

Well folks, I finally set up my e-tank. It seems to be working. I have my already- vinegared but still-rusted cornbread pan in there, and it seems to be reacting.

I half-expected the tank to start bubbling and boiling like an angry witch's cauldron on Halloween night. It doesn't quite do that, but I do hear the charger humming at least, and I already see a gentle shimmer to the liquid and a rust-colored scum forming on top, this after only 20 minutes..

The first sacrificial piece was an old scythe blade I bought at a rummage shop, this to match my witch's cauldron metaphor. The scythe didn't appear to make a complete circuit at all -- just total deadsville, even though I scrubbed the connection area clean on both pieces. Maybe to was too dirty, or maybe I was too impatient. (I waited 5 whole seconds.)

I also notice that I have to set the charger on 12v/6a for it to hum, though there is a 12v/2a and a 6v/6a setting that perhaps work, but the activity seems lethargic on those lower settings.

I paid about $40 for my charger after deciding not to burn $40 worth of gas driving around to pawn shops and garage sales for a charger of dubious ancestry. Plus I at least have a warranty from AutoZone.

I do hear the charger humming at least, and I already see a gentle shimmer to the liquid and a rust-colored scum forming on top, this after only 20 minutes.

Don't know about all that other stuff, but you do need to have a manual charger, set on 12 volts, and whatever amps you have available. And yes, you should see movement in the water and scum on the top pretty soon after starting the process.......

Good Luck !

12 volt / 6 amp is probably right......

If it wasn't a manual charger, there wouldn't be anything happening because it would have shut itself off. No current, no movement, no scum. 6 volts, 2 amps will work, just not as fast.

Yes, Nick, thank you, it's indeed a manual charger. I am thankful for the several threads here and the website's overview of e-tanks that emphasise this point.

I went ahead and dunked the pan in my vinegar wash afterwards, then scrubbed, rinsed, dried and sprayed it lightly with Pam oil. Rubbed off the oil, wrapped it in a t-shirt over night, and the rust seems gone from every little crevice.

Now into the oven to cure and hopefully to reduce the still-metallic odor, then a couple sacrificial batches of corn bread to leech out metallic taste, and ... perhaps by Thanksgiving it'll be ready!

Thanks for the help and encouragement, fellows!

Back