Cleaning a Turk's Head Pan

I had one with rust on the bottom and gunk on the inside so I did lye first, then e-tank. Used a nylon brush and steel wool on the inside after the lye, and repeated on both sides after the e-tank.

lye, electrolysis... and small stainless steel wire brush... and maybe some little wooden skewers to poke crusty stuff that didn't come off from either the lye or electrolysis.

I've done it 4 times. PIA is correct. 3 six cup and 1 twelve cup. They cook great afterwards.

Wooden skewers are necessary in my opinion. Also, use a basting brush to brush the seasoning on. It considerably helps. I wouldn't recommend Pam or a cooking spray for the first two seasonings. I do use it for the third seasoning. I have used Pam for the bottom on the second seasoning though.

PATIENCE is the best thing I can recommend.
There just a PIA to clean... I did it once.... No fun.

Thanks guys! I thought maybe I was missing something. I have done a number of corn bread stick pans and those can be a pain too. Turks head to this point is the biggest P.I.A. I have come across. I say that now until I go after my Griswold Slant Waffle Iron I got last week.

Beautiful! It was worth it. Would you do it again? Lol My 12 cup is an open framed type. Even harder to season.

Thank you! I would do it again. I let it go in the etank an extra day and the wood skewers were great. Really worked great when I used two at the same time. I am glad I had some in the drawer.

Back