Clean Graphite?

Jeremy Marin

Do people clean your graphite anodes? I find that after one or two pieces the rods (I'm switching to plates soon) aren't visibly covered with anything the way I see people using other anode materials, but the amperage is usually much lower.

I've tried correcting for electrolyte mix, wiping the rods (but not rinsing), connections, etc. I usually just suffer through the slow amperage until I empty the bath and start a new one.

(The water is also completely black and impossible to see anything, but I get the impression that is expected.)

Thank you!

Hi Jeremy,

No need to clean the graphite, and you will quickly find out how much plates are better than rods. I simply flip my plates once a week for even coverage. Let them air dry occasionally and store.

I also notice as the bath becomes darker with graphite particles the conductivity and effectiveness begins to drop. I change my bath three times during the season. I have not found a fix other than a complete change.

Best of luck
Matt

where do you find the graphite plates? what are their dimensions? how much do they cost?

I've been thinking about replacing my 3 lawn mower blades, but they work pretty well. They stick out of the 15 or so gallons of solution in my 20 gal. trash can. Therefore, the positive terminal is completely out of the solution. They usually conduct 10 amps or so (which is not solely up to them, the dirty side has an impact). They clean the moderately rusted pieces within a couple of hours (probably less if I set the reminder timer to check).

I just want to do both sides at the same time.

I got this: http://ebay.to/2ysWaIa

1/2" x 12" x 12" for $50.

Much as I'd love to use stainless steel or another metal, and despite understanding that the temperatures I'm working at aren't likely to cause any toxicity concerns, we have a small yard that is mostly edible garden so the price is worth the peace of mind, for me.

Back