Seasoning for Bread Baking

Joe C

I am looking for a dutch oven to use to bake bread. I am thinking a number 8 or better a number 9.

The dutch oven will need to be heated to 500 degrees.

Will normal seasoning such as Crisco handle that temperature, or will it burn off?

Thanks

Joe

Hi Joe!
What ever seasoning you use to properly season the DO will be baked on and won't be an issue.:)After the seasoning and prior to baking, you might choose to use a seasoning to prevent the dough from sticking. Whatever doesn't stick to the dough will season your DO. I just made some bread in a Lodge No.12 dutch oven (with feet) last week - stuck that baby right in the oven on top of a travertine tile. I used Pam in the DO, and went up to 400f in it. When it was done, I tipped the oven and the loaf fell right out. No residue.:grin: It was honey wheat bread, and the recipe called for a tablespoon of honey...next time I'll use two...:chuckle:

The OP is talking about seasoning that has already been properly baked on, with Crisco being the oil used to bake on the seasoning. It is possible to destroy established seasoning with high enough heat, which is why some people ill-advisedly use their oven's self-cleaning cycle (or worse, a fire) to burn off old seasoning when restoring a piece.

The relevant question is if different oils which were polymerized to create seasoning have different max temperatures before the seasoning is destroyed. Specifically, if seasoning made from Crisco can handle 500 degrees.

Short answer, though, is seasoning made from Crisco should handle 500 degrees just fine.

You might have a problem if you just manually season it once and then bake the bread. After you get a few good layers of seasoning established, you shouldn't have a problem.

I season with Crisco at 450-500°. I leave it in for 1-2 hours. I will season it 2-3 times this way. You shouldn't have any issues with that temp.

Back