Season - a Wagner Nickel Plated Skillet?

Brian P

https://imgur.com/a/Toiqp

I was gifted a very nice garage sale found no. 8 nickel plated Wanger skillet. This is my first time dealing with plated cast iron. Sorry I did not take any before pics but after reading that electrolysis is not recommended for plated I used heavy duty oven cleaner and a trash bag and let it sit outside for two days. Yesterday I cleaned it off and it turned out great I did not see any rust so I did not even need to use any vinegar. Now I am not quite sure how to season it. I placed a bit of grape seed oil in the inside after drying it out in the oven to buy me some time. Should I season just the inside of the skillet a few times and leave the outside alone? Is it possible to discolor the plating by using it in the oven at a high temp like 500*F?

No real reason to season plated parts, but actually no harm, either. Areas worn to bare iron should be, though. High temps can discolor plating, but how high is the question. I have plated skillets with discolored bottoms that nothing will change.

Back