Seasoning Not Sticking

Hi all,

I've made 5 attempts at re-seasoning my cast iron skillet, and the results are a spotty, patchy finish where in some areas, the oil doesn't adhere.

Perhaps I'm not doing it right, I have been allowing the skillet to cool for about 15-30 minutes before applying another coat. I have the temp at 400°, and leave it in for an hour. I'm using Butter Flavored Crisco for the oil.

What would cause this?

I'm thinking about starting over and removing the prior seasoning. If I do that, what should be the process?

Thanks,

~t

Not sure, the flavored oil may be an issue. Sticking to original solid Crisco or one of the recommended oils is best. Lye or Easy Off HD to strip the bad seasoning.

try grapeseed oil; not expensive and I am very happy with it. spray can of it at wallmart costs $4 bucks...very clean...good smoke temp...425...olive oil is ok too...

Well, I've placed the skillet in my self-cleaning oven and set it to 3 hours, and it is just now at 2 hours (so another hour to go).

I've read the article from the link above, but am still concerned a bit with what to do with any Flash Rust, i.e; should the amount seen be small or large, on average?

The article mentioned that the rust will go away with the first seasoning. Am I correct in understanding that to mean I should not try to remove the rust, rather to simply season over it?

Thanks

It's just going to be a haze on the surface. It will be picked up and removed as you wipe off the excess seasoning oil you apply.

The look of this cleaned cast iron skillet is impeccable. It is a 10.5 inch (manufacturer unknown) skillet.

I put it in the self-cleaning oven for 3 hours, and it it came out just beautiful, with one problem - A CRACK! :cry:

The crack is in the sidewall and is completely through. Is its usable days over now, or could I still use it? The crack begins about 1/4" above the surface.

I read an article from this site that said it was possible for seasoning to close the crack, would this be true for the extent of this crack?

I've loved this skillet for years, and have used it for everything from cornbread to milk gravy, and it just did wonders for me. I hope there is some remedy, or work around.

http://www.castironcollector.com/damage.php

T.
I have a pan that is cracked just as you described. I used it without knowing it was cracked. It was caked with many years worth of seasoning. When I cleaned it in the lye tank the crack became visible. I made cornbread in it a few times and the crack filled in again but I stopped using it anyway. You never know if the crack is going to suddenly expand and cause a spill

Back