Wapak Indian Waffle Iron

According to the Reproductions & Counterfeits page, it is a toy Wapak waffle iron that is a fake. Odds are that Wapak copied the waffle iron of another maker (Wagner) to make the pattern for the full size one in the OP, but, by all indications, it is a genuine Wapak.

I was going by what it said about the insignia on the skillet, not the toy. The quality of the insignia - off center printing, variations in the letters and sloppy casting don't live up to the normal examples of Wapak. Oh yea, and the feathers got a haircut too.

Hilditch

Last edited:
The typical Wapak skillet is a hot mess of casting flaws and artifacts of using other makers' skillets as patterns. Their Indian head skillets, apparently originals, are among their best, but are not without issues. Of the two versions of Indian head skillets, discernible by variations in handle design, one has a logo very much like this waffle iron's.

Thanks for the input. Im hoping that it is real. The pictures I've found of the double ball socket style seem to be smoother cast. I have not found one this style that was real smooth.

Just my opinion, but I think from the looks of the metal that this is an old piece. The fakers usually do the least possible to get a return on their rip off, so I don't think that a full size waffle iron would be seen as bringing much return for the effort. Also, as Doug says, really perfect manufacture was not as likely then as now. Sometimes it's hard to remember that these were essentially handmade pieces, although mass produced. I think your restoration looks very nice. I don't know what the original handles looked like, but your treatment looks good.

Back