Newbie first post- I love my cast iron pans- cleaned using abrasive blasting

Greg S.

Hi all,
This is my first post here. I am an "accidental" cast iron collector like most antiques that my wife and I have- they usually find me not the other way around.

Here's the start of my cast iron collection story.
In a visit to a good friend's house a few months ago he gave me a bunch of items for the local scrapyard as I visit there frequently. In the load of broken stuff were a dozen or so intact, heavy, well used cast iron pans of various size and shape. These I saved as I thought I could use for melting wax or mixing paints etc. That never happened thankfully.

My wife and I are very into cooking (foodies) and have gotten away from using non stick as the teflon and aluminum products contained within these seem like they are not safe anymore to ingest.

So I looked into Cast Cookware...With a little research and some effort I have managed to restore quite a collection of very nice cookware. A Lodge grill pan, three or four #3, #5, #8 Wagner Ware, a 1930's 10" Griswold and one I think may be a Sperry 8. It has a flat handle on top as well as the cast seam on the bottom. I'll post pics and maybe someone can help me identify?

I noticed not too many posts here focused on abrasive blasting. Oven cleaners and lye just seem like too caustic a process to me for an item later eaten off of(just my 2 cents)

I am a metalworker by trade and have use an abrasive blasting cabinet for my business and have for almost a decade now. This cabinet is a suction style machine (gentler that a pressure cabinet) which I can gently coax off rust and gunk from my pans using a very fine aluminum oxide grit and low pressure. It filters material so the abrasive is separated cyclonically from the gunk and dirt that it removes. Recycling a clean abrasive every few minutes.

The abrasive is a #70-80 grit Aluminum Oxide which easily powers through rust and crud leaving a very smooth and clean surface.

I have achieved great results! Abrasive blasting works great- as does a re-seasoning on my BBQ grill at 300-375 degrees with Crisco for an hour.

These super smooth vintage cast iron pans are easily made non-stick and cook great! My favorite Dutch Babies for breakfast are beautiful! YUM!

Should anyone need abrasive blast advice or assistance I'd gladly do my best to steer you in the right direction. Also would appreciate any comments regarding abrasive blasting or suggestions as well...

Thanks for the great group,
Greg:razz:

"accidental" cast iron collector

As a collector and a user myself I've seen people clean cast iron many different ways.

• Grinding
  • Sanding
  • Wire wheels
  • Self cleaning oven
  • Wire brushes
  • Lye bath
  • Camp fire
  • Oven cleaner spray (Lye in a spray can)
  • Electrolysis

To me, anything that can actually take away metal from a piece or will alter the finish I stay away from.

Your method may differ but I've seen media blasted pieces that end up with a very dull matte finish all over. I've also seen pieces that people have used very aggressive wire wheels & sanding discs' on. I don't even give them a second look. To me, personally, they've been ruined. I'm sure they cook great, but they just aren't for me.

There are quite a few people that have successfully ground down modern skillets to get a nice smooth finish, and while I think it's pretty cool, 75 years from now, I know those skillets will be worth zero to a collector. Just something to think about if you think you may ever sell any of your pieces.

Maybe some photos would convince me.

It is important to note that it is incumbent on sites like this one and others like it to recommend only those methods that have proven unequivocally not to affect original surface texture and are therefore, by definition, not detrimental to collectible value. In the area of media blasting, only soda and nut shells have so far been approved by collector organizations as non-damaging. While certain methods are often professed as "safe" when the user is "knowledgeable", it would be a disservice to the collecting community to openly recommended them without disclaimer to the uninformed.

Wow! You guys are a tough crowd- OUCH! Here are some pictures of one of my my "ruined pans". Enjoy your oven cleaner/lye flavored food. :icon_thumbsup:Greg

Attachments

• DSCN1062.jpg
    DSCN1062.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN1061.jpg
    DSCN1061.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN1060.jpg
    DSCN1060.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 75
In the realm of vintage collectible cast iron cookware, sandblasting is second only to cleaning by burning in a fire as a perennially sore subject. It's important to note that the concern is how a given method affects collectible value vs. how it impacts usability for cooking.

If using lye is a concern, electrolysis is an alternative. Or, there is actually food grade lye. To eliminate lye from the food chain, however, would also require giving up pretzels, bagels, hominy, canned mandarin oranges, lutefisk, and green olives.

Wow! You guys are a tough crowd- OUCH! Here are some pictures of one of my my "ruined pans". Enjoy your oven cleaner/lye flavored food. :icon_thumbsup:Greg

I have a feeling you took my comment in a way that I did not intend.

We're actually not a tough crowd, but you realize you're on a site called Cast Iron Collector, right? It's not Cast Iron User, or Cast Iron Restoration. As a collector of a few things over my life, I can tell you that un-restored original quality is best, second best is a restoration that doesn't damage the original item, and doesn't try to improve upon it. Anything that damages the original item's fit, finish, or look makes the item un-collectable to any purists'.

I've cooked in most of the items in my collection, but I can only cook so much, and I have favorites. I treat them like hell, and they love it.

As for your photos.

Photo 1, from the photo I can't see that you've done anything.

Photo 2, handle looks like it was blasted but rust still remains.

Photo 3, just looks like a pan?...

Really? These look like "before" photos.

Lye, if you're worried about lye, you can neutralize it's effects with vinegar. I've never had an issue, and my food doesn't taste like lye.

You Said:
pictures of one of my my "ruined pans".

I Said:
I've also seen pieces that people have used very aggressive wire wheels & sanding discs' on. I don't even give them a second look. To me, personally, they've been ruined.

Never mentioned media blasting, and looking at your photos I can only see minimal work done. I'd have to see it personally. My point still stands. If it looks like it's been altered intentionally, I'm not into it.

First things first. Greg Welcome to the site. Pull up a seat, a lot to learn here. We are not a tough crowd, we are antique dealers, pickers, Collectors, users, hoarders, chefs, and some very knowledgeable folks here.

Yes, they are your pans to do what you want with them. But remember what RickC said "realize you're on a site called Cast Iron Collector" So here you can learn how it is best to treat cast iron in a Collectors eyes.

Now, as for myself, I do use food grade products to clean my iron, and I love my lye flavored food bagels. Oh! By the way, next time you think to buy your better half some hand made soap tell her not to use it to long she bight get burned as it just might be made with some Lye.

But at the end of the day, they are your pans to do as you please. So happy cooking.

The main ingredient in oven cleaner is lye. It works well, and is easily removed from cast iron. If there were to be any residue left, it would be on the molecular scale.

If you have ever eaten a pretzyl, a bagel, a tortilla, or even grits, you have eaten a food made with lye.

Back in the day, people used to bathe with soap made from lye.

Most industrial strength cleaners used in the restaurant business are made from lye.

Lye is indeed caustic. That just means that in it's pure form it has a very high pH level. This pH level can easily be neutralized by rinsing the pan in a vinegar/water solution. End result, no more lye.

after using a lye bath for a long time, when you're done, you can always use it to clean your plumbing as thats what its made for. no harm, no foul.

Back