Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Show & Tell

Notices

Show & Tell Share Your Cast Iron Cookware Finds and Restorations

Old 07-16-2019, 06:57 PM

Default Cast Iron Fruit Press (Enterprise)

Found this a few weeks back and just finished restoring it this morning. Think it turned out fairly well. Couldn't get the worm gears out but still managed to clean everything back to like new condition. Seasoned a few parts before reconditioning. Now I have to decide to list it for sale or just keep it and use as intended.
Trying a new link to Imgur so if it shouldn't copy over I may have to redo the images.

https://imgur.com/x7Etgg9
https://imgur.com/e2Y5cFL
https://imgur.com/Trtwf3U

Last edited by MDFraley; 07-16-2019 at 07:02 PM. Reason: added images
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2019, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Cast Iron Fruit Press (Enterprise)

Looks good. Nice job.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:48 PM

Wow, thats a great restoration! Looks very hard to clean, but wow.....I see it was made in PA too.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:47 PM

Nice job Michael.
I have two of those that I haven't yet restored. Any tips on how you keep the unpainted surfaces from rusting. You know how humid it is here Kemah. I ran the first one through the electro tank and it cleaned up pretty well but flash rust set in very quickly.

Are you and Bonnie receiving visitors yet?

Jack
Old 07-25-2019, 09:37 PM

Hi Jack,
I completely disassembled it and afterwards cleaned everything in the lye. I seasoned the inside only on the bottom piece plus the sieve plate and compression plate. Took the bench mounted wire wheel and cleaned the two long bolts, threads and nuts/washers and seasoned them also. The exterior was painted with Dupont Dupli-color DE-1635 black paint. Found that a lot of experts that do restorations recommend this paint to get the japanned finish look. I use it on my plane restorations and it looks very good. Taped off the worm gears while painting and the wood handle. Be sure to cover the top opening of the canister when painting so that no overspray enters the inside seasoned area. I used a piece of aluminum foil and taped it to the top lip just inside the canister. After re-assembly I coated the worm gear with mineral oil to preserve the finished look and help lubricate it for ease of operation.
Sounds like a lot of work but it really wasn't any worse than cleaning a dirty old waffle iron lol.
We will always accept visitors so when out Arizona way feel free to stop by. I'll be in Houston next week for the grand daughters birthdays so I may get in contact with you and do a little pickin. Plan on doing so both going and coming back,
Good luck with your press restoration,
Old 07-28-2019, 11:05 AM

Michael,
Thanks for the quick response. I had not even considered seasoning any of the parts but that sounds like a good Idea. I plan on using mine to make link sausage and the seasoned surfaces should stand up well to that.

Please let me know when you are in Houston and we will get together. Next week is First Monday at Canton if you feel like a little more driving. The last time I was there, there were several vendors with dozens, if not hundreds, of CI pieces.

Drive carefully

Jack