Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 02-22-2017, 01:26 AM

Default Re: Possible to restore or beyond repair?

Can your Grandma remember what the inside of the pan was
like when it was new? It would be handy if it weren't enameled.

(I would boil it until some of it softened, get the loose part off and boil it some more. I'd probably use Dawn but if that didn't work, I'd try all these suggestions. Or ry those first. Just don't let it boil dry!)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2017, 03:09 AM

Location: Residing in the calm sunshine of Santa Cruz, California

I've heard that people use some type of solvent to clean these up, it dissolves the grease and crud but not the enamel, but I don't know what kind of solvent. I will probably do some experimenting with what's out there the next time I find one of these crusty "seasoned" Le Creuset pans. What I have found to be fairly effective is using a very hard plastic scraper, like a windshield ice scraper for larger areas, and a reusable plastic chopstick for smaller areas to chip away at the carbon. Then try scrubbing with Bar Keepers Friend cleanser, which will work to remove stains from the enamel once it is exposed.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:52 AM

I have seen mechanics clean nasty carburetors by boiling them in lemon juice. Just an idea.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:35 AM

Would Dawn Power Dissolver be of any use with this?
Old 02-22-2017, 11:55 AM
Site Admin

It's designed for baked-on grime such as would occur in a single use. It gets off brown stuff pretty well, but carbonized black, if it did work, would take a whole lot of DPD.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:45 PM

Personally I would take 00 steel wool and rough up all the seasoning and put a frest coat over it. Since it is your Grandmas I wouldnt totally strip it since you know who cooked on it. Stripping it you risk ruining the underlying coating on it and if you leave it you keep her pan in its nostalgic condition. Just my humble opinion. Either way, happy cooking!
Old 02-24-2017, 07:39 PM

Wow, I was not expecting all of these replies. Thanks everyone for pitching, in I appreciate it!

I haven't had a change to do anything to it yet, but I did read somewhere else that you can simmer fully enameled Le Creusets in hydrogen peroxide and a little bit of baking soda for some time ~15mins, and the crust should scrape off easily.

I will probably try this when it's a little warmer outside so I can use the grill (it's supposed to smell like burned food from hell while it's simmering).

I will post an update when I have tried it in case this information is useful to others!

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------[/SIZE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaM View Post
Can your Grandma remember what the inside of the pan was
like when it was new? It would be handy if it weren't enameled.

(I would boil it until some of it softened, get the loose part off and boil it some more. I'd probably use Dawn but if that didn't work, I'd try all these suggestions. Or ry those first. Just don't let it boil dry!)
Unfortunately no, she doesn't remember where she got it from, and never used it herself because "she doesn't want iron in her food" haha

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------[/SIZE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.Aarstad View Post
Personally I would take 00 steel wool and rough up all the seasoning and put a frest coat over it. Since it is your Grandmas I wouldnt totally strip it since you know who cooked on it. Stripping it you risk ruining the underlying coating on it and if you leave it you keep her pan in its nostalgic condition. Just my humble opinion. Either way, happy cooking!
Thanks for the advise, I will do this after my boiling!
Old 02-25-2017, 12:25 AM

Please keep us updated as you start experimenting. It will be helpful info in case we run up against a similar pan.