Cast Iron Collector Forums  
Google

Go Back   Cast Iron Collector Forums > General Discussion > Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning

Notices

Cast Iron Cleaning and Seasoning Help With and Tips & Techniques For Cast Iron Cookware Restoration

Old 09-21-2016, 08:37 AM

Default Dutch Oven Bail

Hello,

After a few weeks in the lye bath (just didn't have the time to season), a dutch oven I was going to season still has some carbon build up on it. Was going to throw it in my E Tank but wasn't sure how the bail will hold up. Will the bail be OK in the E Tank? I'm sure it's not aluminum, but I'm not sure what they are actually made of. For reference it's a Iron Mountain DO.

Also, the bail is kind of stained up and not so great looking. Before I season the DO, I was thinking of taking some barkeeps friend to it with some fine steel wool. Is this a decent method of shining it up or does anyone have any other methods to consider?

Thanks,

Adam
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2016, 08:44 AM
Site Admin

Default Re: Dutch Oven Bail

The bail will not be damaged by any of those methods. It's tempered steel.

See also: http://www.castironcollector.com/cleaning.php#caveats for things to avoid.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:31 AM

I would also caution to be extremely careful of the bail when you season the dutch oven. I've been burnt (more than once, lol) by the hot bail swinging and hitting my arm when I turn the dutch oven over to apply the seasoning. Even a quick touch, at these temps, can sometimes result in a burn blister. Be careful.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody M View Post
I would also caution to be extremely careful of the bail when you season the dutch oven. I've been burnt (more than once, lol) by the hot bail swinging and hitting my arm when I turn the dutch oven over to apply the seasoning. Even a quick touch, at these temps, can sometimes result in a burn blister. Be careful.
I'm pretty sure this happened to me twice when I seasoned my first DO. Always a good reminder. Thanks